Pharmacy School and Motherhood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sandyliu113

LuLuInNC
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I have a question for you folks that are in pharmacy school and dealing with the possibility of motherhood. Does anyone have any feedback on the feasibility of starting a family while in Pharmacy school? Especially those of you that may have the desire to stay home with a baby...

What about you folks that have graduated and started working in a Pharmacy? How feasible is it to get a job in a pharmacy where you work 3 days a week and stay at home with the baby 4 days out of the week? I'm just wondering if it is feasible and if anyone has ever done it.
 
sandyliu113 said:
What about you folks that have graduated and started working in a Pharmacy? How feasible is it to get a job in a pharmacy where you work 3 days a week and stay at home with the baby 4 days out of the week? I'm just wondering if it is feasible and if anyone has ever done it.

That's a lot of the attraction to pharmacy for many women (or maybe even men if they plan to be home more with their children). The flexibility is there for you to work part-time or even per diem depending on the place. I work with a couple of pharmacists who only work 40-60 hours a pay period (2 weeks) in order to spend more time with their children.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it would be difficult to have a baby while in Pharmacy school, but it is doable. A couple of ladies in our class have had babies during the semester and still did well in school. (fortunately they had family in the area that can help out)

Having a family once you're a pharmacist will be no problem at all. I know several pharmacists that work either part-time now or they work full-time but on a flexible schedule.
 
Yes it is manageable or i pray for it....I have a 6 month baby boy and be attending pharm school this fall alone with the baby ( he will be my audience when i will be learning drugs name) I don't have family or friend around... but a good daycare and a nice old lady for emmergency should do the trick. husband (study in another state) will visit once in a while and might take the baby one or two weeks before my major exams (after his exams....aahahhhhahah)..will see..I am still trying to figure out the winning combination...wish me good luck my friends!!!!!.

sandyliu113 said:
Hi,

I have a question for you folks that are in pharmacy school and dealing with the possibility of motherhood. Does anyone have any feedback on the feasibility of starting a family while in Pharmacy school? Especially those of you that may have the desire to stay home with a baby...

What about you folks that have graduated and started working in a Pharmacy? How feasible is it to get a job in a pharmacy where you work 3 days a week and stay at home with the baby 4 days out of the week? I'm just wondering if it is feasible and if anyone has ever done it.