Pharmacy School Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mccamy63

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after many years of applying and being rejected I now have the oppurtunity to go to multiple schools and would just like some feedback on this situation. I will leave out school names to keep from getting biased opinions. My top choice or the school I liked the most at the interview is private and tution is roughly 30 grand a year with my financial need closed to 50 grand a year. My other choices are public schools each that are around 30 grand out of state and around 13 grand a year for in state. I like these schools but not as much as the first. If I were able to gain in state tuition at either of these schools after the first year it would save me a considerable amount of money in the long run, almost half. The problem is im thinking that even if I take all the required steps to gain state residency there is still a possibility of being denied in state tuition therefore I would be stuck at a number 2 or 3 school paying the same tuition that I would have payed at my top choice school. Thanks for any feedback there has to be other canidates or students that are or were in my situation. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you should find out the residency policy and procedures by asking the out of state pharmacy students or the office. Some states are easier than the others. For example ohio State has an extremely easy/friendly residency policy.

Having said that, I always suggest to pre-pharmacy student that they should put cost as one of the top priorities in choosing schools. Student loans are a b*tch. Rule of the thumb, by graduation students should not have more loans than 1 year's salary.

If you are taking out $50K a year x 4 years = $200K, you'll be in for some pay back shock when the bills come. (paying $2300 after tax dollars per month for 10 years on your loans, ouch!)

I'll go ahead and list school names and maybe I can get some help here as well. I applied to Texas Tech (in state), Midwestern in Glendale, AZ, University of Oklahoma, University of Colorado, and Regis University in Denver, CO.

I interviewed at Univ. CO, OU, and Regis.

Accepted so far at OU and Regis.

Regis is a private university so tuition will be 32k plus fees each year.

At OU, I'll be paying out of state tuition at 34k including fees for the first 3 years and then 43k the fourth year!!!

I really liked Regis, but it's their first year, accreditation year! I know that every school has to start somewhere, even the best schools in the country had an accreditation year and Texas Tech, a very good school, has only been around about 10 years.

Regis is purely academic so I worry about opportunity with career placement post graduate. Regis claims to be EXTREMELY clinical, racking up 400+ clinical hours the first year. This could potentially help displace their lack of on campus affiliated research????

OU has a lot of research, a nuclear pharmacy program on campus, and claim to be very clinical - I have heard otherwise from pharmacy friends. They are established however which belittles the accreditation concern.

I'd love to move to denver, I don't know what to do...

ANY feedback on either school or the situation would be VERY VERY appreciated and extremely helpful!!!!

THANKS!!!

mccamy63 - I completely understand your situation, debt is nothing to scoff at, but if we are pulling in over 100k as pharmD's, 200k in debt is really not that big of a deal. We are still young, and VERY resilient! Also -
which location might produce A, the higher paying jobs, and B, the better long term opportunities?

Members don't see this ad :)
So my schools were creighton, oklahoma, and university of colorado. I think I'm going to contact the financial aid office in oklahoma and see if people can get in state tuition after the first year or so. I thought it was funny how at the colorado interview they preached about how you could get in state after the first year and at oklahoma they didnt say anything about it. Thanks for the feedback I'll give you some of my feedback once I talk to the office and other students maybe.

I interviewed at OU last year and CU this year (Oct). I really liked the atmosphere, the people and the overall experience I had at OU, and it really had a family feel to the day. It felt as if everyone was in it together. At CU, I didn't really meet many people, but the facilities are nice, the faculty is interesting and friendly, and the experience was also pleasant. If I had the choice between OU, CU and Regis/Creighton, it would honestly be CU because it is a strong research school and I love the mountains/environment there (big skier :p). Not to mention the tuition for 4 years OOS is $100K, less than any of the other schools. They're all great programs, and as mentioned by others, only the accredidation for Regis would deter me. If you still can't decide, get a coin, make 1 school heads & another tails & flip it. Before you look at the outcome, what school do you want it to be? That will give you your answer. Good luck regardless and congrats on the acceptances!

mccamy...

I talked to admissions today, at ou. I was told that it is next to impossible to gain instate residency in OK unless you move out there and live for at least 12 months prior to starting class. I asked several what-ifs and was rejected each time. Since, I have learned of potential "waivers" for instate tuition - I plan on calling tomorrow to find out if they actually exist. From what I understand, these might be ACT scores, GPA, or even academic standing after a year at the university. I'll post what I find out tomorrow.

cool thanks yeah please post post that would be helpful for many.