Jul 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hello, I'm a sophomore and my major is Chemistry. I am looking forward to apply to a pharmacy school once I get my degree in Chemistry. Today, my advisor has told me that an ACS certified chemistry degree would be recognized nationally. He said that I can apply to any pharmacy schools and they would recognize my ACS certified chemistry degree. My question is that I don't know if this would work. Since I am planning to apply to multiple pharmacy schools, I can't really following the pre-pharmacy curriculum of any particular pharmacy school. Can someone please tell me if that's true that the ACS certification can substitute the pre-pharmacy curriculum? Thank you so much for all your helps

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hello, I'm a sophomore and my major is Chemistry. I am looking forward to apply to a pharmacy school once I get my degree in Chemistry. Today, my advisor has told me that an ACS certified chemistry degree would be recognized nationally. He said that I can apply to any pharmacy schools and they would recognize my ACS certified chemistry degree. My question is that I don't know if this would work. Since I am planning to apply to multiple pharmacy schools, I can't really following the pre-pharmacy curriculum of any particular pharmacy school. Can someone please tell me if that's true that the ACS certification can substitute the pre-pharmacy curriculum? Thank you so much for all your helps
The ACS (American Chemical Society) certification is what, a 2 year program? I think, as such, it'll be viewed in the same light as an AA - Perfectly fine as long as your school accepts No-Bachelor-Degree students.

Now, that being said, you asked two different things. First, you asked if it's recognized by pharmacy schools... I'm sure it is. Not like it's some fly by night degree that means nothing. However, you also asked if it can substitute pharmacy school pre-requisites. Without question I can tell you no. Unless the degree encompasses all of the requirements, you will still need to be proficient in all of the courses that pharmacy school requires.

This is implicit in the word "requirement."

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Now wouldn't that be somethin'.

croquemonsieur

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2009
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
the pre-requisites don't vary that much from school to school, so it shouldn't be a problem. hope that helps.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
if you're applying to multiple schools, get a list of all pre-requisites and see which ones overlap. and then you can see how many courses you have to take. if you can't take all of them, then eliminate one or two schools from your list and you can finish your major and all of the pre-requisites on time.

also, consider summer school if you can't finish during the school year.

AdamSanders

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2008
Cleveland
Status
Pharmacy Student
The ACS (American Chemical Society) certification is what, a 2 year program? I think, as such, it'll be viewed in the same light as an AA - Perfectly fine as long as your school accepts No-Bachelor-Degree students.

Now, that being said, you asked two different things. First, you asked if it's recognized by pharmacy schools... I'm sure it is. Not like it's some fly by night degree that means nothing. However, you also asked if it can substitute pharmacy school pre-requisites. Without question I can tell you no. Unless the degree encompasses all of the requirements, you will still need to be proficient in all of the courses that pharmacy school requires.

This is implicit in the word "requirement."
I think the OP means that the BS program at their school is ACS certified. I don't think it would make a difference in applying to pharmacy school. I know my program wasn't certified because my school doesn't meet the graduate per year requirement.

Just make sure you complete all of the prereqs for each school and you are golden.

SYPHARMACY

5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
what is ACS? i graduated with a bs in chem. am i certified automatically?