Pharmacy School decision help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enabler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I wanted to ask people who already have pharmacy school experience so I am posting here instead of Pre-pharmacy.

I got into U. Maryland and U. Colorado Pharmacy programs and was having a hard time deciding which to attend. Here are some questions/things to consider:

I am aware that U. Maryland is ranked higher(9 v. 23), so I will first ask how much rank or school prestige makes a difference after graduation. Does it help with getting a job or is it more about connections? Is 9 much different than 23 for pharm schools?

I ultimately want to end up on the west coast, so will Colorado be better for making connections or getting rotations where I want to go?

What helped you guys make your decision?

Is there anything that you wish you knew before attending the school you ultimately chose?

How much should I consider the city where the school is? Or is most time spent on school so it doesn't matter a whole lot?

Let's say cost is not an issue.

If anyone has any experience with either school specifically that might be helpful.

I think that is all for now. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I wanted to ask people who already have pharmacy school experience so I am posting here instead of Pre-pharmacy.

I got into U. Maryland and U. Colorado Pharmacy programs and was having a hard time deciding which to attend. Here are some questions/things to consider:

I am aware that U. Maryland is ranked higher(9 v. 23), so I will first ask how much rank or school prestige makes a difference after graduation. Does it help with getting a job or is it more about connections? Is 9 much different than 23 for pharm schools?

I ultimately want to end up on the west coast, so will Colorado be better for making connections or getting rotations where I want to go?

What helped you guys make your decision?

Is there anything that you wish you knew before attending the school you ultimately chose?

How much should I consider the city where the school is? Or is most time spent on school so it doesn't matter a whole lot?

Let's say cost is not an issue.

If anyone has any experience with either school specifically that might be helpful.

I think that is all for now. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

So far, my experience has been it's more about who you are than where you're from. The clinical coordinator at one of the hospitals on campus is from MD, so was one of the residents last year. We've also had residents from KU, UMKC, and other OOS schools. If cost isn't an issue, go where you feel you'll get the best education. That's not always the higher ranked school.