Pharmacy school entry with DUI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, awesome story. You absolutely and completely robbed the cradle. I don't care what you say, she was a mere 19 year old sophomore wandering the streets of Davis when you shop-lifted the pooty (Dibs on that phrase SDN). The yellow shirts are, in fact, precious, especially when your gf is wearing an over-sized one and you can just rip it off and make the aggie pack proud.

Congrats man, keep me posted on your application process, I'm pullin' for ya.

LOL, actually we met in Arizona, when I was at Fort Huachuca. She is a hybrid Aggie, a mudblood transfer student. I guess, though, your age-analysis is correct and had she started university at 18, she would've been a sophomore. I feel dirty just talking about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! So I am extremely interested in a career in pharmacy.. however, I have SEVERAL things working against me. First, my overall GPA is at 3.1 right now, but I am taking several prerequisites this fall, and plan on getting A's in all of them. I know that's kind of low. I also took the PCAT last October and got 63%, but I do plan on retaking them this October again. I do not have much pharmacy experience, but I have plenty of experience volunteering (200+ hours since high school). I do start volunteering in a hospital pharmacy next week though.

I have also graduated with a B.S. in Psychology, and will graduate with another degree in Biology.

However, one main thing I am concerned about is my underage DUI. This occurred about 4 months before my 21st birthday, and I blew a 0.08. How will this affect my situation, and do I honestly have any hope of getting into pharmacy school?

Be as honest as you can!!! Thanks :)

First of all be forthcoming with the DUI. Most school supplementals will ask if you've been convicted of any crime and answer it honestly. What changes have you made in your lifestyle as a result of your DUI? I don't think that one lapse of judgment should condemn you for the rest of your life only if you've made sure that it will be a one and only thing. And yes although it will reflect upon you very poorly to the pharmacy school, I know a handful of students that have made it to pharmacy school with it on their record (myself included). So don't give up hope, and just realize that you will have a harder time and will have to work harder than other applicants to reach your goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very fascinating. Although you didn't reply to my final hypothetical. Maybe you missed it because I interlaced it into my conclusion and you'd stopped reading by then (Since the middle portion of my post was directed at Cali).

I think I have a clear sense of your perspective now. May I sweeten the deal so to speak and challenge your conviction to this ideology of yours? Let's pretend that Student X is a child molester. Obviously, child abuse is not part of the life behind the pharmacy counter at Rite-Aid, and you don't work with children as a Pharmacist. Of course I expect you to say "Oh hell no, ewww, no way jose!" but I'm curious, because if you accept the antecedent hypothesis (as you just did), then clearly you're committed to this "Let the wrong be punished and then forgiven, especially if it doesn't directly relate to the profession X" ideology, and must therefore accept a child molester into your ranks (As his offense, which he has paid his dues for and must now register as a child molester for life, is now settled and also has nothing to do w/ pharmacy).

How do you feel about this?

In this case, I would say that this particular crime may impact the person's ability to be a pharmacist even though it isn't directly related. A certain amount of trust is needed in this profession and I doubt someone is going to be comfortable asking the pharmacist a delicate question about their medication if they can see that the person is a sex offender on the internet. Now if being a pharmacist involved being in a basement somewhere and never dealing with the public then I would say that the child molester could be a good pharmacist regardless of the past. But that isn't how it works. Once you get that license, you are free to find your special niche and in this case, the person might be most attracted to pediatric pharmacy. I think that we can all agree that that wouldn't be a good outcome.

Oh, and I have no problem with the cop getting a lap dance as long as it is legal, and he is paying for it and not using his power to get freebies. Do they really fire people for such things?

In this case, I would say that this particular crime may impact the person's ability to be a pharmacist even though it isn't directly related. A certain amount of trust is needed in this profession and I doubt someone is going to be comfortable asking the pharmacist a delicate question about their medication if they can see that the person is a sex offender on the internet. Now if being a pharmacist involved being in a basement somewhere and never dealing with the public then I would say that the child molester could be a good pharmacist regardless of the past. But that isn't how it works. Once you get that license, you are free to find your special niche and in this case, the person might be most attracted to pediatric pharmacy. I think that we can all agree that that wouldn't be a good outcome.

Oh, and I have no problem with the cop getting a lap dance as long as it is legal, and he is paying for it and not using his power to get freebies. Do they really fire people for such things?

So if the hypothetical child molester would be restricted only to working in big-box retail with no *direct* adult-child contact outside of a child present with his/her parents, you're perfectly fine with it?

Tiffany Sheppard is one of the best examples I can think of in recent history of a teacher who was relieved of duty for "impropriety". She was a "Bikini Mate" for a cruise line on her off time but people got pissed off, probably because she has an amazing body at her age and they were all jealous, claimed that she missed 30 days of work and fired her. I think she's still in litigation in that case. Is it rare? Sure, but it DOES happen.

So if the hypothetical child molester would be restricted only to working in big-box retail with no *direct* adult-child contact outside of a child present with his/her parents, you're perfectly fine with it?

Tiffany Sheppard is one of the best examples I can think of in recent history of a teacher who was relieved of duty for "impropriety". She was a "Bikini Mate" for a cruise line on her off time but people got pissed off, probably because she has an amazing body at her age and they were all jealous, claimed that she missed 30 days of work and fired her. I think she's still in litigation in that case. Is it rare? Sure, but it DOES happen.

No, in this case, I think that the presence of the child molester undermines trust whether or not there is a child involved. I suspect that people in general aren't going to trust the child molester pharmacist even if they don't have children present. That alone will interfere with the person's ability to be a good pharmacist.

While I don't agree with driving under the influence of any intoxicant, while tired, texting or doing anything that would distract you from driving, I have given a second chance to many a soldier that I caught on post. Most of the time it was due to the fact that they were on the knife's edge of the legal limit and the prosecutor wouldn't touch it if they didn't blow over. I would scare the hell out of them if they were being cool and if they were being belligerent I would call up their top at whatever hour in the morning it was. Either way, before I left them at their barracks I would write down their name, rank, unit and last 4 and tell them they had just used up their only get of jail free card with me and the next time I caught them doing anything at all they were done. I never saw another soldier again for anything other than minor traffic infractions like speeding. My point is, people make mistakes. If you can scare them straight and change the way they think you have done them and society great service. If the OP had killed someone, then I would have a different viewpoint. It was pure luck that it turned out the way it did and all that happened was the DUI.

As for OIF or OEF, I had already served my 8 years and had left before they started calling the reserves to go over there. I got called up 3 weeks after 9/11 for 16 months under OEF with my reserve unit to go back to the same post I spent 5 years active duty on. I missed by two weeks being pulled to another unit in '04 that was filling to go to Iraq. But, even though I wasn't in an active war zone doesn't mean I didn't come across my fair share of near death experiences working as a MP and deputy sheriff. I also had quite a few when I was deployed to Bosnia in '97.

To the OP: get a lawyer and pay to have the record expunged before you start applying so you don't have a worry about it. Most importantly, LEARN from this mistake and keep an extra $20 tucked away for a cab or pass out in your car to sleep it off. Just make sure the keys are in the passenger seat and not in the ignition because you can still get a DUI for attempting to operate a vehicle, which keys in the ignition qualifies for.

Hey everyone! So I am extremely interested in a career in pharmacy.. however, I have SEVERAL things working against me. First, my overall GPA is at 3.1 right now, but I am taking several prerequisites this fall, and plan on getting A's in all of them. I know that's kind of low. I also took the PCAT last October and got 63%, but I do plan on retaking them this October again. I do not have much pharmacy experience, but I have plenty of experience volunteering (200+ hours since high school). I do start volunteering in a hospital pharmacy next week though.

I have also graduated with a B.S. in Psychology, and will graduate with another degree in Biology.

However, one main thing I am concerned about is my underage DUI. This occurred about 4 months before my 21st birthday, and I blew a 0.08. How will this affect my situation, and do I honestly have any hope of getting into pharmacy school?

Be as honest as you can!!! Thanks :)

one of my buddies got a dui driving my car and he just graduated pharmacy school. Its very possible, don't give up hope young Jedi. learn to use the power of the force and you will be on your way.

try and work on increasing ur GPA and PCAT score...and be as honest as possible about ur DUI...its better to be honest and upfront instead of waiting until they see it on the results from your background check and then begin questioning admitting you. good luck:thumbup:

I do not think this will affect your chance of getting in pharmacy school. As long as you explain this to your interviewers honestly. People make mistakes all the time. I just feel bad for those who criticizes you because they thought they do not make the same mistake as you did, and those who calls people stupid this or that. Just ignore them. You will be ok. Good luck.

I do not think this will affect your chance of getting in pharmacy school. As long as you explain this to your interviewers honestly. People make mistakes all the time. I just feel bad for those who criticizes you because they thought they do not make the same mistake as you did, and those who calls people stupid this or that. Just ignore them. You will be ok. Good luck.

;)

I'm criticizing the behavior. If someone had not gotten into the car, I might still have my sister...so PLEASE excuse me if I have little to no leniency to take such a blatant disregard for others vitality.

Hey Charles Manson, don't listen to all of those people criticizing you because they didn't make the same mistake you did, just ignore them!

Hell yeah!

Terrible advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 6th year intern at my pharmacy recently mentioned that they won't let you take the Boards if you have a DUI.... So you might want to give them a call and check with them, because if you can't sit for the Boards you'll need to look for another career :(

Thank you all for the advice! I am definitely a little freaked out right now -- I am going to call every state of the schools I want to apply to and talk to the Board of Pharmacy and see how my DUI affects my licensure as a pharmacist. As I said before, it'll be off my record before I even graduate from pharmacy school, but I am definitely really scared now :O

A plea agreement in your DUI case may be difficult to enforce but there are probably a solution with that case Attempting to enforce plea agreements is fraught with difficulty and potential pitfalls. This is particularly true of oral plea offers. Even though such oral offers are generally enforceable, without some sort of memorandum it is difficult to prove the specific terms. Consequently, counsel should always endeavor to memorialize all plea offers and agreements. This can be done in the form of a letter to the prosecutor, a memorandum, a court order or by having it written on the prosecutor's file. Try to be as complete as possible because incomplete agreements are more likely to deem them unenforceable.

Since my sister died in a drunk driving accident, usually they are misdemeanors even though it should be a felony. I think it's only a handful of states that it is :mad: It will show up in your background check which is becoming a standard procedure when you apply for pharmacy school, your intern license etc.
An admissions board is really going to look at that...you could be a liability. Just like an employer will look at this like, "Would I really trust a person with a DUI to dispense drugs who will show up drunk" "Could they possibly poision a person due to their ongoing intoxication" Because that's the assumption, right or wrong that is going to be made-you will be pigeon-holed as the irresponsible person who drinks soooo much that he/she drinks and drives. You made a poor judgment as someone who was almost 21. You're not the first and your certainly not the last...
ALL actions have residuals and not getting into pharmacy school might be a residual of that.

I know that in Montana, at least from what I saw working as a booking officer, it was a three-strike rule. Three DUI's meant prison time. I don't think that "cut down" on the amount of people who committed the crime as I remember getting tons of arrests brought in on that charge. As for the OP's issue, I don't think you should be chastised for your mistakes, you obviously payed for them. Odds are you spent a night in jail or you got bailed right out the gate. If it were me and I had the same thing, I would challenge the ticket and try to get it off my record, or at least deferred.

You made a poor judgment as someone who was almost 21. You're not the first and your certainly not the last...

At that age, I think most of the stories start with "so I was at this party and there was this (______________)."

There is a major difference between someone doing something stupid, and someone doing something stupid that could have caused harm to another person. DUI's are intolerable, and right now the punishments are not even close to being tough enough. I also would not feel bad if this person was not able to get into school or licensed.

There is a major difference between someone doing something stupid, and someone doing something stupid that could have caused harm to another person. DUI's are intolerable, and right now the punishments are not even close to being tough enough. I also would not feel bad if this person was not able to get into school or licensed.

It must be hard, having never made a mistake in your life.

People make mistakes, especially young people. Just because someone gets a DUI when they are 21 doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good health care professional in the future... It can actually be a valuable lesson and inspire some introspection and change in a person (and probably some maturity- we can hope).

People make mistakes, especially young people. Just because someone gets a DUI when they are 21 doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good health care professional in the future... It can actually be a valuable lesson and inspire some introspection and change in a person (and probably some maturity- we can hope).

:thumbup:

I was at a dinner with board of pharmacy of my state and I know him personally and these guys are appointed by the governor of the state and are extremely fair people and trusted in the community...DUI came up in our conversation and he said they look at two things one is the pure evidence side of issues and the other one is the human aspect of issues! He said everybody make mistakes and if I can see they have learned their lesson and it has not happened again and they have improved their life I will not hold it against them but if they have multiple crimes done and then that's when we take an action against them! Bottom line is that you CAN go to pharmacy school and be a successful pharmacist if you learn from your mistakes! FYI someone in our school got a DUI before pharmacy school and she got accepted! The board of pharmacy knows how hard you have worked to get to where you are and they will be tough on you but they are fair and understanding because the bottom line is they are there to protect the public!

I bet Passion4SCi is the person in class that everyone groans at when they ask a question. Must have been hard to be perfect all you're life.

I had a DWI in February 2013 and am applying for the year starting in Fall 2016. My DWI was dismissed though, yet not expunged. Any advise on this?

I had a DWI in February 2013 and am applying for the year starting in Fall 2016. My DWI was dismissed though, yet not expunged. Any advise on this?

I'm pretty sure you can still get into pharm school because the standards are pretty low these days. However you'll want to check with your state Board of pharmacy about this. For example, anyone who has a record in CA get delayed in taking their board exams. This could mean loss of job opportunities because some jobs/residencies require you to get licensed by a certain time

I'm pretty sure you can still get into pharm school because the standards are pretty low these days. However you'll want to check with your state Board of pharmacy about this. For example, anyone who has a record in CA get delayed in taking their board exams. This could mean loss of job opportunities because some jobs/residencies require you to get licensed by a certain time
Thank You!