Pharmacy School Extracurriculars?

Started by nolee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nolee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! Hope things are going well. I recently started a local program educating underprivileged kids about opportunities in the healthcare profession, and one of them was asking me about getting into pharmacy school. What I know about extracurriculars mainly has to do with medical school, but I told him I'd poke around--unfortunately even after searching online, I still can't be 100% sure about what extracurriculars are necessary to be competitive. From my research, here is what seems to be pertinent:

-Pharmacy tech license and experience
-Shadowing a pharmacist (but how many hours?)
-Volunteer activities - should these be clinically-related? Pharmacy-related? [I can't think of any pharmacy-related volunteer activities, but maybe I'm wrong?]
-I suppose research would also be important--would it be pharmaceutical research in this case?


Am I missing anything? Any helpful pointers and tips would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
 
From what I've seen you really need volunteer/community work... And not to just be competitive. A school I looked at told us that community work and things of that nature were mandatory, and you had to be consistent in those activities.