Pharmacy School Laptop/Tablet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CamRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my laptop is nearing its end (Asus i3 processor) so I'm thinking of buying a new one now. I'm wondering what you guys out there bought/plan to buy for pharmacy school. I saw on a few pharmacy schools tuition fees, laptop fee - 3500. Is a laptop this expensive really necessary? I don't mind if there is one that expensive that is just so much better. Also as much as I want a Mac, I'm looking for suggestions that aren't Macs. I know Lecom says they do not recommend Macs and you will have problems with the programs they run.

Also I'm using a 3rd gen Ipad now. What tablets are you guys using?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a hybrid laptop/tablet like ASUS TAICHI. I hate APPLE products so no MAC for me. I would not spend more than 1K in laptop.

Get a hybrid laptop/tablet like ASUS TAICHI. I hate APPLE products so no MAC for me. I would not spend more than 1K in laptop.

Wow that thing looks awesome. Ill look into that one for sure. Affordable too. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I normally use android but when it comes to laptops, i get macbooks. You do get what you pay for. Macbook air is very affordable right now, they aren't as overpriced as you think. The new ones start at 1099 for 13 inch, cheaper if you are a student. You won't be able to find a laptop that lasts 10+ hours, have wireless AC (faster wireless for future), and lightning fast SSD with the new pci express interface than the slower sata interface.

I had a macbook pro in 2008, worked great throughout my undergrad, I'm still using it now, at home computer. It never fails me. Barely slowed down throughout the years I've had it. Unlike windows, youll get spyware malware crap, that will make your computer slow overtime. Never had to reinstall an OS, when I had windows, I felt like I had to reinstall it every now and then to speed up the performance. Bunch of my people had to switch a new laptop at least once during undergrad, cause it dies on them.

I wouldn't get an iPad or iphone though, I prefer android much over iOS, however when it comes to computers, OS X is muchhh better than windows.. Remember, apple started out as a computer company.

I normally use android but when it comes to laptops, i get macbooks. You do get what you pay for. Macbook air is very affordable right now, they aren't as overpriced as you think. The new ones start at 1099 for 13 inch, cheaper if you are a student. You won't be able to find a laptop that lasts 10+ hours, have wireless AC (faster wireless for future), and lightning fast SSD with the new pci express interface than the slower sata interface.

I had a macbook pro in 2008, worked great throughout my undergrad, I'm still using it now, at home computer. It never fails me. Barely slowed down throughout the years I've had it. Unlike windows, youll get spyware malware crap, that will make your computer slow overtime. Never had to reinstall an OS, when I had windows, I felt like I had to reinstall it every now and then to speed up the performance. Bunch of my people had to switch a new laptop at least once during undergrad, cause it dies on them.

I wouldn't get an iPad or iphone though, I prefer android much over iOS, however when it comes to computers, OS X is muchhh better than windows.. Remember, apple started out as a computer company.

Excellent post! I had to buy 2 Window computers in 3 years, because they both stopped working. I thought I would be saving money going the cheaper route. Wrong!

I now have had an AIR for the past 3 years and it works great! NO PROBLEMS! (knocking on wood). Spend the extra money and get a reliable computer. It will last you longer than any WIndows crap.

EDIT: Just read the OP's post. Bummer LECOM does not accommodate MAC users :/

Last edited:
Excellent post! I had to buy 2 Window computers in 3 years, because they both stopped working. I thought I would be saving money going the cheaper route. Wrong!

I now have had an AIR for the past 3 years and it works great! NO PROBLEMS! (knocking on wood). Spend the extra money and get a reliable computer. It will last you longer than any WIndows crap.

EDIT: Just read the OP's post. Bummer LECOM does not accommodate MAC users :/

Whoops sorry lol. Totally missed the Mac part

Whoops sorry lol. Totally missed the Mac part

I forgot you can run boot camp. Which is probably the best windows computer you can get. You'll have to buy another windows license but it's good. Or you can run parallels. I prefer bootcamp though.

agree with you,I thought I would be saving money going the cheaper route.thanks
kRf6

Darn so no Mac products? Mine has been problem free for 3 years and lasted longer than any of my other PC laptops.

Get a Mac and you will never have a problem. They are worth the money. If your worried only about LECOM then just wait, save some money and decide after you know where you are going.

Get a Mac and you will never have a problem. They are worth the money. If your worried only about LECOM then just wait, save some money and decide after you know where you are going.

I know but the problem is I need a computer now. I'm thinking about just buying a MacBook Pro and ill deal with the LECOM thing later if I go there lol

I know but the problem is I need a computer now. I'm thinking about just buying a MacBook Pro and ill deal with the LECOM thing later if I go there lol

Don't get a Macbook pro right now unless it has a deep discount. We're expecting a refresh soon with haswell. Should improve battery life and ssd speeds.

As I mentioned you can run boot camp and you'll basically have a windows. Or you can go parallel route.

MacBook airs have already been updated with Haswell, it's only the retina laptops that haven't.

MacBook airs have already been updated with Haswell, it's only the retina laptops that haven't.

Yea the 13 and 15 Macbook pro aren't updated and they probably won't update the non retina pros