Pharmacy School list for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serpant55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a list of pharmacy schools to apply to that fit in with what I have to offer. If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it!

I have 5 transcripts thus far from community colleges, one AAS degree with Major in Science, 3.9 GPA. Still taking lots of courses at the other CCs though to finish up prereqs. I should finish up with about 90 credits by the end of this summer (from CCs). Should I have to mention why so many transcripts in the personal statement? I have classes from lots of places because my parents kept moving around and going through some life stuff so I had to do classes wherever I happened to be at the time. All of my classes are As so far, a few Ws, and 1 B. I'm taking a lot of credits between now and the end of the summer though, but I hope to remain in the A range.

I haven't done the PCAT yet but I am studying and planning to take it June 21 or in August. Question - if I take it in June/August, should I submit my app only when the PCAT scores/all recs/grades are in (ie in August) or when the Pharmcas first opens, even if all transcripts/PCAT scores/recs aren't updated? Thanks.

I'm a Va resident but I'm only applying to 1 of the schools in my state. I have a small list of 5 schools to apply to so far but I'm looking to expand it based on my stats and out of state schools that are friendly to out of staters/people applying for grad program only (not 6 yr program).

I'm not a fan of physics so I have all the general prereqs for most health graduate schools except for 8 college credits of physics. The 5 schools I have so far only require 3/4 physics credits, so I'm only doing the first semester of physics, principles of physics even, not college physics. So if anyone can mention some schools that don't have the 8 hour requirement of physics, that'd be great :)

My ECs are the usual I guess, nothing unusual. I did a lot of volunteering/tutoring work in several subjects in the US and overseas. Hospital volunteer work in states and volunteering overseas in a pharmaceutical company. I've been overseas a lot with my parents. But all of my college work is only from the schools in the states. I plan to get certified as a pharmacy tech this summer and hope to get some work/shadowing/volunteering.

Oh, and last thing, for this upcoming fall, should I enroll in a 4 year and start my bachelors program or should I stick to CCs? I'll have about 90 credits by the time Fall 09 rolls around, but I could still take my last few prereqs at a CC...or at a 4 year.
If all goes well, I'll be accepted for Fall '10 into Pharm.D so I won't be able to complete a bachelors (it will take me 2 more years), but i don't know, maybe it looks good to enroll at a 4 year? Any light on this topic?

Thank you to anyone who can help and I'm sorry the post was so long. I'm looking at all the pharmacy schools but it's hard to find the ones that are friendly to out of staters/grad program applicants since they won't mention that explicitly on the website and their are hundreds of posts to each individual school here! So thanks a lot :):)

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest going to PharmCAS and thoroughly reading the info. on all the schools to decide which ones YOU LIKE. Private schools are generally non-biased to what state you are from, but public schools have to be biased to their state because of the state tax funding. I would apply to your in-state schools and maybe a few out of state private schools that fit your prereqs and qualifications (many schools list average GPA, PCAT, etc.) on thier websites. As for the moving around, as long as your grades were solid I do not think it will matter...maybe in your essay you could allude to the fact that your family situation caused you to move around a lot and the admin. comittees will then understand why you have many transcripts. I do not think you necessarily need to specifically mention your numerous transcripts, but you can mention the moving around and the schools should "get it".

Last edited:
Should I have to mention why so many transcripts in the personal statement?

No, it's pretty common for people to have different transcripts. I also have transcripts from 5 schools (I first went to get my BA at a 4 yr university and took pre-reqs elsewhere afterwards)

I haven't done the PCAT yet but I am studying and planning to take it June 21 or in August. Question - if I take it in June/August, should I submit my app only when the PCAT scores/all recs/grades are in (ie in August) or when the Pharmcas first opens, even if all transcripts/PCAT scores/recs aren't updated? Thanks.
If you're not applying until 2010, you can start worrying about it then. You can start sending things in when pharmcas opens again, and you will need to meet deadlines at different schools (most aren't due til well after August , but earlier the better)

I'm a Va resident but I'm only applying to 1 of the schools in my state. I have a small list of 5 schools to apply to so far but I'm looking to expand it based on my stats and out of state schools that are friendly to out of staters/people applying for grad program only (not 6 yr program).
You need to do individual research on each school to add to your list. You may end up spending 3-4 years, so take the time to figure out where you are eligible/want to go.

I'm not a fan of physics so I have all the general prereqs for most health graduate schools except for 8 college credits of physics. The 5 schools I have so far only require 3/4 physics credits, so I'm only doing the first semester of physics, principles of physics even, not college physics. So if anyone can mention some schools that don't have the 8 hour requirement of physics, that'd be great :)
pharmcas and aacp has a comprehensive list of different pre-reqs at different schools

Oh, and last thing, for this upcoming fall, should I enroll in a 4 year and start my bachelors program or should I stick to CCs? I'll have about 90 credits by the time Fall 09 rolls around, but I could still take my last few prereqs at a CC...or at a 4 year.
If all goes well, I'll be accepted for Fall '10 into Pharm.D so I won't be able to complete a bachelors (it will take me 2 more years), but i don't know, maybe it looks good to enroll at a 4 year? Any light on this topic?
In general, your chances are better if you have a 4 year degree. Some schools are starting to require a 4 year degree or highly recommend it. Here in California, people have gotten in with their 2 year degrees, but it is pretty rare. Some schools here will start requiring a 4 yr degree starting next year.

hope that helps, good luck

check out my sig, I compiled a list of links/information from my experiences applying for pharmacy school