Pharmacy School Ranking Credibility

Started by JVket04
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JVket04

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard a lot of debate about the U.S. News pharm school ranking system. The pharmacy accredidation service doesn't recognize a ranking system - but at the end of the day - every pharmacy school was not created equal. :laugh:

Any comments about the ranking? Anyone know of the benefits of going to a school that has a decent ranking?

Here's a link to the 2008 Rankings from US. News

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...raduate-schools/top-pharmacy-schools/rankings
 
This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads but from what many pharmacists have told me, it matters when it comes to residencies, especially the more competitive ones. It also matters regionally with it being more important on the east coast. If you want to go into research in school, it is probably a good idea to get into a top school because they have more research dollars.
 
This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads but from what many pharmacists have told me, it matters when it comes to residencies, especially the more competitive ones. It also matters regionally with it being more important on the east coast. If you want to go into research in school, it is probably a good idea to get into a top school because they have more research dollars.


Apologies for the redundancy - I recently became an active user and SDN dropped their search feature. Thanks for the insight though - I'm definitely interested in the nontraditional path of a pharmacist.

Anyone else interested in a job working in a Pharmaceutical company? I've heard that pharmacists working for companies like Novartis, Merck, and J&J have phenomenal autonomy and great compensation (much better than retail)

I would imagine a a big name school helps get these jobs - anyone know/know of pharmacists working in these type of roles? What's their job description?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It probably does help. I imagine these pharmacists work in drug development and design but there are probably other jobs they have as well. Some of these companies offer rotations for 4th year pharm students and some of the schools have an arrangement with them.

I didn't know the search feature was disabled as I usually access SDN from my phone- my apologies.
 
At some of the bigger universities you can get into a duel pharmd phd program.
 
While I don't think I would attend a pharmacy school with a name such as D'Youville, I believe its important in the networking and connections you make while in attendance that will greatly help you in directing your next step after graduation. And I'm certain that some schools will certainly have a larger and more influential alumni community than others.
 
While I don't think I would attend a pharmacy school with a name such as D'Youville, I believe its important in the networking and connections you make while in attendance that will greatly help you in directing your next step after graduation. And I'm certain that some schools will certainly have a larger and more influential alumni community than others.

Plus the dual degree programs at some of the big schools like Ohio State, Pitt, and Buffalo really open doors. I saw the placement of pharmd/mbas/jds from these schools and they have all taken on pretty autonomous positions in major companies internationally
 
Apologies for the redundancy - I recently became an active user and SDN dropped their search feature. Thanks for the insight though - I'm definitely interested in the nontraditional path of a pharmacist.

Anyone else interested in a job working in a Pharmaceutical company? I've heard that pharmacists working for companies like Novartis, Merck, and J&J have phenomenal autonomy and great compensation (much better than retail)

I would imagine a a big name school helps get these jobs - anyone know/know of pharmacists working in these type of roles? What's their job description?

if you're going that route you're going to want to get involved in research. Consequently, many highly regarded research universities are also ranked highly on that US news & world report list
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad