You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
pharmacy school taking student from community college
Started by RxMTM
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If you get the grades on the pre-reqs that you need and demonstrate enough understanding and retention to pass the admission test then you should be able to compete for admission.
Where you go to school proves nothing about you. Typically, I find that very smart people attend CC simply because spending tens of thousands of dollars for undergraduate classes is stupid. I went to a relatively cheap state college but looking back even that was kind of pointless.
Where you go to school proves nothing about you. Typically, I find that very smart people attend CC simply because spending tens of thousands of dollars for undergraduate classes is stupid. I went to a relatively cheap state college but looking back even that was kind of pointless.
i went 2 years to a nearby CC to do my pre-reqs and I was able to have it all paid for thru pell grants...while a lot of my pharmacy classmates spend up to $50,000 for 2-3 years of school for their pre-reqs at universities...the smart ones looking back did this.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard kingsville pharmacy school is taking people that have two years of community college. What are you guys thoughts on this? Does this mean we have too many pharmacy schools? Doesn't sound very competetive.
You are either trolling or naive.
Yes, there are too many pharmacy schools - but that example isn't "proof"
I went to school in the mid-90s, well before the pharmacy school explosion at a school that was a "top 5" school (and yes the rankings are bogus.
And in my class alone I know of 2 people who did their pre-reqs at a community college.
Silly thread that the mods should lock up
I heard kingsville pharmacy school is taking people that have two years of community college. What are you guys thoughts on this? Does this mean we have too many pharmacy schools? Doesn't sound very competetive.
IMHO, pharmacy school should require 4 years undergrad period. Many of the better public schools are already requiring it either officially or de facto. Completion of undergrad courses in analytical chem, physical chemistry, statistics, medical terminology, molecular biology, and finance should be required.
Hey I resemble that remark . Went to cc and then went to a established research school for my pharmd thought that was more or less standard , although admission is getting tighter for non degree holders
I heard kingsville pharmacy school is taking people that have two years of community college. What are you guys thoughts on this? Does this mean we have too many pharmacy schools? Doesn't sound very competetive.
And how is that any different than a 0-6 program or 2-4 schools that take a high percentage of their incoming class from their own two year pre-pharmacy program?
Does Kingsville has a credible interview process? I have no knowledge of this one way or the other, but if so...then there is no difference.
I'm torn about this. I tend to agree with you, but I think for a lot of people, it's really necessary. I've met a few (by all means, not a large number, but a few) pharmacy students who did only the first 2 years of prerequisites and lack any solid life experience and/or are completely immature. Not as though 4 years of undergrad is guaranteed to solve that problem, but anecdotally, I meet fewer people with a 4 year degree with this same issue.I just decided to switch to pre-reqs from going the 4 + 4 route. I'm saving roughly 25k and 1.5 years of my time. Why change that? IMHO, undergrad feels like an unnecessary "high school pt. 2". If we could cut it out entirely, I wouldn't shed a tear.
I also did the 2 years of community college into reputable state school route. And that was in 2003 when the difficulty curve in getting in was at it's peak.
I also did the 2 years of community college into reputable state school route. And that was in 2003 when the difficulty curve in getting in was at it's peak.
As a side note, I love things like this. Everyone thinks it was "hardest/most difficult" to get into pharmacy school the year they were applying. 👍
As a side note, I love things like this. Everyone thinks it was "hardest/most difficult" to get into pharmacy school the year they were applying. 👍
I dont think anyone can say any one year was the toughest, but the peak was roughly 2001-2005 or so. I don't think this is really crazy to claim what I claimed.
I dont think anyone can say any one year was the toughest, but the peak was roughly 2001-2005 or so. I don't think this is really crazy to claim what I claimed.
And people before you claimed it was harder because there were fewer schools, people trying to get it before the PharmD required (less years and less $$$) and I've seen many current students claim it was harder when they applied (including the 2+4 schools) hence post-2005.
So no matter how it is spun, everyone thinks their era was the toughest.

It's not a shot at you, just the thinking that everyone has.
As another side note - don't you find it funny that in one sentence you state that no one can claim any one year was the toughest, yet go on to proclaim a 5-year stretch (out of >100 years of pharmacy school admissions; 200 years if you go all the way back to Philly COP) that was the 'peak' as it's fact.
Now, go ahead and respond with one of your rants that you tend to do so well whenever someone disagrees with you or doesn't fall into line with your thought process. The truth of the matter is, trying to compare this is almost like trying to proclaim who was the best *football/basketball/baseball* player of all time because things change, etc.
And people before you claimed it was harder because there were fewer schools, people trying to get it before the PharmD required (less years and less $$$) and I've seen many current students claim it was harder when they applied (including the 2+4 schools) hence post-2005.
So no matter how it is spun, everyone thinks their era was the toughest.
It's not a shot at you, just the thinking that everyone has.
As another side note - don't you find it funny that in one sentence you state that no one can claim any one year was the toughest, yet go on to proclaim a 5-year stretch (out of >100 years of pharmacy school admissions; 200 years if you go all the way back to Philly COP) that was the 'peak' as it's fact.
Now, go ahead and respond with one of your rants that you tend to do so well whenever someone disagrees with you or doesn't fall into line with your thought process. The truth of the matter is, trying to compare this is almost like trying to proclaim who was the best *football/basketball/baseball* player of all time because things change, etc.
No, you're just wrong.
It's ok, as you mentioned and quickly realized, you disagreed with me and, thus, are wrong.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm torn about this. I tend to agree with you, but I think for a lot of people, it's really necessary. I've met a few (by all means, not a large number, but a few) pharmacy students who did only the first 2 years of prerequisites and lack any solid life experience and/or are completely immature. Not as though 4 years of undergrad is guaranteed to solve that problem, but anecdotally, I meet fewer people with a 4 year degree with this same issue.
I could see where the immaturity issue might come up, but I view education more as an investment than a "life experience". The pre-req route is less money and lets you make money faster, ultimately putting you in a better financial position.
I don't see where people think you miss out by not doing the full four years. Who says that you have to stop learning once you're out of school? As long as you're open to new ideas and books, there's nothing stopping you from taking in new information.
P.S I looked for that book about high I.Q kids and didn't find it in the library. Sad panda face.
No, I think for a lot of people, 2 years of prereqs is fine; I just wish we could keep the super immature kids out. I guess they just grow up to be super immature adults, though.I could see where the immaturity issue might come up, but I view education more as an investment than a "life experience". The pre-req route is less money and lets you make money faster, ultimately putting you in a better financial position.
I don't see where people think you miss out by not doing the full four years. Who says that you have to stop learning once you're out of school? As long as you're open to new ideas and books, there's nothing stopping you from taking in new information.
P.S I looked for that book about high I.Q kids and didn't find it in the library. Sad panda face.
Bummer about your library. How could they not have all the Malcolm Gladwell books? I think they were all on the top ten non-fiction best sellers lists. I suggest purchases for my library all the time; it also means I get first dibs on the books when they come in...
I think due to pending oversupply ASHP should require 4 year bachelors and furthermore more qualified candidate. Many people say a 2 year AA from a CC is qualified if they have decent grades and other background to back it. That is true but only under context of current standards and that standard quite frankly is pretty lax for a medical profession. I think 4 year bachelor should be required.
I think due to pending oversupply ASHP should require 4 year bachelors and furthermore more qualified candidate. Many people say a 2 year AA from a CC is qualified if they have decent grades and other background to back it. That is true but only under context of current standards and that standard quite frankly is pretty lax for a medical profession. I think 4 year bachelor should be required.
As long as that switch doesn't occur in the next two years, I'm right behind you 😏
I think due to pending oversupply ASHP should require 4 year bachelors and furthermore more qualified candidate. Many people say a 2 year AA from a CC is qualified if they have decent grades and other background to back it. That is true but only under context of current standards and that standard quite frankly is pretty lax for a medical profession. I think 4 year bachelor should be required.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1959209/?tool=pubmed
A classmate of mine came from a community college and he's one of the most respected individuals in our class. His grades are very competitive and overall he will make a great pharmacist. What else does he need?
A classmate of mine came from a community college and he's one of the most respected individuals in our class. His grades are very competitive and overall he will make a great pharmacist. What else does he need?
Tens of thousands of more debt? Duh.

Tens of thousands of more debt? Duh.![]()
More than that...
I see nothing wrong with this. I believe it is not where you go to school but what you make out of it. Doing well on PCAT is important and it allows the schools to compare applicants no matter what school they went to. I already had a degree before pharmacy school and completed my pharmacy prerequisites in community college with university transfer program. I got very good instruction and saving money also helped. I had no problems at all with pharmacy school curriculum.
what's wrong with community college? Once my kids are above 18, I tell them to go cc to save money. It doesn't make sense to spend 20K/year in university to study bio, chem, english and useless subjects while you can spend like 7K/year for the same thing.
what's wrong with community college? Once my kids are above 18, I tell them to go cc to save money. It doesn't make sense to spend 20K/year in university to study bio, chem, english and useless subjects while you can spend like 7K/year for the same thing.
After a year at a private college, I would support that decision. However, there is a serious stigma against CC kids in the academic world. The pharmacy school I want to go to says they prefer University credits right on their admission website.
It's not that they wouldn't accept CC kids, I think they take a 4.0 University student over a 4.0 CC student.
I don't think it's right, but thats how it is...
Judging by the writing of posters here and students I see IRL, a much better English background is needed. Does anyone proofread anymore? 👎It doesn't make sense to spend 20K/year in university to study bio, chem, english and useless subjects while you can spend like 7K/year for the same thing.
I like how you were too lazy to spell out the phrase: in real life.Judging by the writing of posters here and students I see IRL, a much better English background is needed. Does anyone proofread anymore? 👎
On the other hand I don't know if I needed a colon or a semicolon in the previous sentence so I guess a better background in English is warranted for me as well!I like how you were too lazy to spell out the phrase: in real life.On the other hand I don't know if I needed a colon or a semicolon in the previous sentence so I guess a better background in English is warranted for me as well!
You needed quotation marks.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't know that the use of acronyms indicated poor grammar and/or low motivation.I like how you were too lazy to spell out the phrase: in real life.On the other hand I don't know if I needed a colon or a semicolon in the previous sentence so I guess a better background in English is warranted for me as well!
You needed quotation marks.

Here's a resource for you, PharmTheQuah:
IMHO, pharmacy school should require 4 years undergrad period. Many of the better public schools are already requiring it either officially or de facto. Completion of undergrad courses in analytical chem, physical chemistry, statistics, medical terminology, molecular biology, and finance should be required.
I completely agree. There is a difference in maturity in those students with a bachelors vs. a 2 year CC degree. All other health sciences require a bachelors, it's time for ACPE to recognize this and get in line with other colleges of health sciences. A bachelors should be required before a residency becomes mandatory.
I completely agree. There is a difference in maturity in those students with a bachelors vs. a 2 year CC degree. All other health sciences require a bachelors, it's time for ACPE to recognize this and get in line with other colleges of health sciences. A bachelors should be required before a residency becomes mandatory.
My only beef with this would be in how it is implemented. Are you saying that it should come all at once, and screw those of us that chose to take the cheaper route (sometimes the only one available to us)? College has become so expensive that many of us cannot feasibly afford four years of undergrad, even if we desired to go that way.
If they did decide to mandate a bachelor's, then I would hope that they allow those of us currently in CC or doing pre-reqs a window of time to finish and get accepted to pharm school. I know that if the system switched now, it would take me over 4yrs to complete my bachelor's.
I completely agree. There is a difference in maturity in those students with a bachelors vs. a 2 year CC degree. All other health sciences require a bachelors, it's time for ACPE to recognize this and get in line with other colleges of health sciences. A bachelors should be required before a residency becomes mandatory.
Actually, not all health profession schools require a BS/BA. For medical school, some schools (although decreasing in number) really only require 90 credit hours of UG with prerequisites completed. However, nearly 99% of students do have BS/BA so in actually one could make that argument that a BS/BA is required.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K