Pharmacy school textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This question has been lingering on my mind and I need to get it out. For pharmacy textbooks, do you all actually buy the textbooks and read them ? or do you only read the lecture notes?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Do what your school recommends and/or requires. I doubt you will use textbooks though. But if they do require a textbook for learning, reading just lecture notes may not be enough for the exams or quizzes. That most likely applies to just pharmacotherapy classes. For some electives and non-pharmacy courses (leadership, ethics,...), you probably can get away with with just lecture notes.

Last edited:
That depends. I wouldn't necessarily get your pharmacoeconomics, business, or statistics text. You should talk to your upperclassmen about how textbook focused the professor is. That said, I never had a Med Chem textbook the entirety of my schooling (if you had to pick one, pick the Delgado as the other one has a bunch of stupid errors), and I am looking at my 15 year old Ansel's Calculations on my shelf as I am writing this (saved for in case someone is crazy enough to ask me a question with respect to mOsm as it's nice actually as a reference for some of the more obscure stuff). I would make it a point to get your therapeutics book, you will read that, hopefully.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only just now finishing my first year. Out of the 13 classes so far, I've bought and read 2 textbooks. Talk to the upperclassmen - they will tell you which books you actually need.

If your professor is the author of the textbook, buy the book!

Starting APPE in a month and haven’t needed a book yet.

We usually don't use textbooks for our school. The only class where we needed one was for law since it included examples to help us understand the laws better. But for other classes you're probably better off with just the lecture notes :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone!

This question has been lingering on my mind and I need to get it out. For pharmacy textbooks, do you all actually buy the textbooks and read them ? or do you only read the lecture notes?

Thanks everyone!
I still have every book I bought in college, I never opened 90% of them. They shall be an heirloom of my kingdom. All those who follow in my bloodline shall be bound to them for I will risk no hurt to my books. They are precious to me, though I buy them with great pain

Reactions: 3 users
I still have every book I bought in college, I never opened 90% of them. They shall be an heirloom of my kingdom. All those who follow in my bloodline shall be bound to them for I will risk no hurt to my books. They are precious to me, though I buy them with great pain

Why did you buy all the books if you know you didn't read them. haha . I heard people lend books to their friends to save $$

Why did you buy all the books if you know you didn't read them. haha . I heard people lend books to their friends to save $$

probably split the bills for the textbooks or something

I didn't but a book after my first year - I graduated 3rd in my class.

And this was 14+ years ago - (like before powerpoint was even really used) - so I am guessing today they are even less likely to be needed.

My school doesn't even use text books, only powerpoints

When I bought them I had every intention of reading/needing them but alas I didn't. Some of the books are needed for course like pharmacology which last 4 semesters. When I was done with them, they had little to no resell value.

Prob could get away with only therapy and pharmacology textbooks, and that’s only if you’re being an overachiever and want to read in-depth on the material.

On the bright side... you’ll have a cool book collection to collect dust when you graduate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn't but a book after my first year - I graduated 3rd in my class.

And this was 14+ years ago - (like before powerpoint was even really used) - so I am guessing today they are even less likely to be needed.

Are you sure it was 14 years ago? Everyone I knew was already using PPT way before that...

Are you sure it was 14 years ago? Everyone I knew was already using PPT way before that...
yup - it was probably half and half, many used overhead projectors still (the older professors)

All books will be available online.

No need to purchase.