pharmacy schools in florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borgpharm8522

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm really interested in pharmacy and will start my pre pharmacy classes in may.
one of the things I would like to know if pharmacy is really the right choice for me, i really like biology, i got all A's in high school. In chemistry I got A's and B's, but i fell like i have alot of catching up to do :/ (my teacher wasn't the best). I also have to learn more for chemistry than i do for biology. In Math I got B's and C's. Can anyone tell me if these grades are good enough?!

Since I'm in living in south florida, I was wondering which schools are "good" pharmacy schools? any info. is appreciated (courses,professors, student/academic life,..etc)

Do I really need a BS before applying.? I'm not afraid of the work just the time that goes into all of it and the tuition!

I applied to palm beach state college to do my pre reqs and was wondering if anyone else is attending that college and is working on their pre pharmacy courses?!

Thanks in advance! Any info is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades will be good enough to get you into "A" pharmacy school. Now, if you want to choose which, or get into a really good one, you'll want to try to pull those up. However, with those stats, plus adequate extracurriculars and a decent (70+) PCAT score, you'll be absolutely fine getting into any school.

I grew up in Florida and went to school out of state. I know a lot about FL schools, and they aren't that impressive. However, here are my honest opinions, take them as you wish.

Nova, is in a nice area, and is a beautiful campus. I feel like the only reason Nova is slightly competitive is because everyone wants to go to school in Florida and Nova is the perfect location. Education wise, you'll get what you need.

PBA, I have a lot of respect for PBA, although there is no prestige or reputation associated with this school.

FAMU, the school is a historically black school--some people are intimidated by this but they have a good program with a 0-6 plan and high NAPLEX pass rate (although all schools have high rates). Tallahassee is a fun place to be.

LECOM, fairly new. Nothing much to the area or school really... very small. I did speak to a few of their faculty at a fair and I actually like their program a lot. It's just that there's nothing to do at the school itself or the area surrounding.

UF, reputable school. However I actually interviewed here and I saw nothing impressive. Everyone was stuck up and gloating about how fabulous the school is but did not back anything up. Their curriculum was bland compared to the other schools I had visited. They don't interact with any of the other health professions, and when I asked if they had labs or any hands on activity first year, half of the people I asked said yes, half said no. I've been to two of their satellite campuses and it felt to be very disconnected to the campus. It is not as difficult to get into UF as everyone may think. Do apply even if you think it is a reach. To me, the staff were not helpful, students had no idea what was going on, and the admissions committee didn't not care.

USF, new school. Low tuition which is great. I really have nothing to say, they're so new.

With decent stats (3.4+gpa, 70+ pcat), I think that anyone is capable of getting into all of these schools.

Reactions: 1 users
PBA, I have a lot of respect for PBA, although there is no prestige or reputation associated with this school.

You can tack on probation in 2009 to PBA.

OT - TS, I'm going to assume that the grades you put up are high school grades. High school grades almost NEVER translate into the kinds of grades you'll see in college.

Take me for example; I graduated in the top 10% of my high school and went to a pretty cutthroat institution (UC Davis). If you were to compare my high school and college GPA, my college GPA is around 1 point below my high school GPA. My high school, as much as it may be one of the better schools in California, did not prepare me on how to tackle college classes. I had to learn that the hard way with crappy 1st and 2nd year college grades. It's tough, but I paid a massive price for that as unfair/fair as it may sound.

If you're beyond your 1st year of college however, completely disregard what I just said.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info.
@chemistress: What school are you going to? did you get your bs before appling?
@sugoi travis: yes they are my high school grades. i understand that college is a totally different catagory than high school i was just wondering about how different the pre pharm courses are than the high school ones.
Does anyone know if speaking 2 languages fluently makes a difference on the application?

To the OP: I'm a So. Flo native too. No, being bilingual does not give you an edge in applying for pharmacy school. Only your grades/PCAT scores and activities would.

Let me just say that college is a totally different animal than high school. I, too, graduated top 10% in my class and when I finished my Bachelor's, I have a 2.95 overall GPA as calculated by PharmCAS. Of course, I'd like to say my grade forgiveness average of 3.2. Haha. But I'm coming clean. To me, high schools in Miami-Dade county felt like they were babying students, even at Honors/AP level. I took some college credit while in school and I was totally thrown off. You have to be proactive and really put your time into studying in order to have some what of a decent GPA.

You could get your BS again, you don't have to. It doesn't hurt to have it though. Many apply with just the reqs and an Associate's at best. LECOM-Bradenton gives you a pass with PCAT if you have your Bachelor's and FAMU doesn't require it at all.

I'm applying to UF, FAMU, LECOM and NOVA with a Bachelor's in Science. Really hoping for FAMU as it's a state school with the lowest tuition.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
what would you say is the hardest pre req course?
does anyone know which subject you learn most about? biology or chemistry?
after i get my pre reqs done i'm thinking of appling to nova,uf,pba maybe lecom and famu (it's pretty far away and i would have to pay even more for housing -.-)

To the OP: I'm a So. Flo native too. No, being bilingual does not give you an edge in applying for pharmacy school. Only your grades/PCAT scores and activities would.

Let me just say that college is a totally different animal than high school. I, too, graduated top 10% in my class and when I finished my Bachelor's, I have a 2.95 overall GPA as calculated by PharmCAS. Of course, I'd like to say my grade forgiveness average of 3.2. Haha. But I'm coming clean. To me, high schools in Miami-Dade county felt like they were babying students, even at Honors/AP level. I took some college credit while in school and I was totally thrown off. You have to be proactive and really put your time into studying in order to have some what of a decent GPA.

You could get your BS again, you don't have to. It doesn't hurt to have it though. Many apply with just the reqs and an Associate's at best. LECOM-Bradenton gives you a pass with PCAT if you have your Bachelor's and FAMU doesn't require it at all.

I'm applying to UF, FAMU, LECOM and NOVA with a Bachelor's in Science. Really hoping for FAMU as it's a state school with the lowest tuition.
Hey did you attend one of the South Florida state colleges like FAU or FIU for undergrad? I would really like to know if you get in anywhere because I don't hear much about the level of competitiveness from Florida pharmacy schools in general here on SDN other than maybe UF. My friend got into NSU with a 2.8 cumulative from FAU but with about 2 years of experience as a pharmtech so i'm sure you definitely have a shot. Just hope you applied early.

Hey did you attend one of the South Florida state colleges like FAU or FIU for undergrad? I would really like to know if you get in anywhere because I don't hear much about the level of competitiveness from Florida pharmacy schools in general here on SDN other than maybe UF. My friend got into NSU with a 2.8 cumulative from FAU but with about 2 years of experience as a pharmtech so i'm sure you definitely have a shot. Just hope you applied early.

No, I had to remember there's life outside So. Flo. :laugh: I got my degree at University of South Florida. (Couldn't stay away from the South Florida though. HA!)

The competition is prevalent like with all schools but like it was mentioned it's not discussed all that much on these parts. I can tell you that UF and FAMU are the most competitive. UF since it's been highly revered as the "Harvard of the South" and FAMU since there's the 0-6 program and many of us on here who do apply are transfer students have a lesser shot of getting in.

Heh, how'd he do on his PCAT? Because I tanked mines. So I know I can count out UF. As for experience, I just have a solid month working as a Pharmacy Aide intern. :/ Another thing is, the Florida schools look at the whole package deal versus just grades. If a person is lacking in one department, they don't automatically cancel you out especially if other parts of the background is stellar. Which is what I'm banking on.

You and your friend give me hope. Thanks. Ehhh, I applied during mid-December for UF, NOVA and FAMU. LECOM was in January. :/ I wish I would have applied in the summer but the money was tight.

Are you in Pharmacy School already or are you applying for this term? I'm curious.

Bah, late reply is late.

Thanks for the info.
what would you say is the hardest pre req course?
does anyone know which subject you learn most about? biology or chemistry?
after i get my pre reqs done i'm thinking of appling to nova,uf,pba maybe lecom and famu (it's pretty far away and i would have to pay even more for housing -.-)

My goodness. I'm sorry dear, I didn't see your response. To me the hardest pre-requisite was Calculus. (I just don't like Math all that much.)

When you say "which subject you learn most about?" do you mean retention-wise? To me, it's Biology. I enjoyed it the most but in actuality, what you've learned in undergrad is totally different from Pharmacy school. It's a good little precursor but I've been told it's like starting anew.

Yeah, you, me and the majority of everyone else who applies often faces the relocation ordeal. Just pick the school that offers the best program for you and everything will work itself out in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed at Nova I was impressed by the college. The Health Professions Building is a standalone building that intertwines the health professions. I was thrown back at how intermingled they are. The cafeteria was a sea of scrub blues, teals and white coats. Future nurses, PA's, physicians, and pharmers all mingling. The building had cozy "members only" feel to it. I can't speak for the faculty as of yet because school hasn't started for me yet (C/o 2017) but I am sure there will be some good ones and some bad ones. Probably more bad ones that than good but you have the make the most of it. This is usually the case with most schools in any program.

No, I had to remember there's life outside So. Flo. :laugh: I got my degree at University of South Florida. (Couldn't stay away from the South Florida though. HA!)

The competition is prevalent like with all schools but like it was mentioned it's not discussed all that much on these parts. I can tell you that UF and FAMU are the most competitive. UF since it's been highly revered as the "Harvard of the South" and FAMU since there's the 0-6 program and many of us on here who do apply are transfer students have a lesser shot of getting in.

Heh, how'd he do on his PCAT? Because I tanked mines. So I know I can count out UF. As for experience, I just have a solid month working as a Pharmacy Aide intern. :/ Another thing is, the Florida schools look at the whole package deal versus just grades. If a person is lacking in one department, they don't automatically cancel you out especially if other parts of the background is stellar. Which is what I'm banking on.

You and your friend give me hope. Thanks. Ehhh, I applied during mid-December for UF, NOVA and FAMU. LECOM was in January. :/ I wish I would have applied in the summer but the money was tight.

Are you in Pharmacy School already or are you applying for this term? I'm curious.

Bah, late reply is late.
I believe he took the PCAT twice and got around a 70+ somewhere around there, however you are right about the whole package thing especially at NOVA. I spoke with him after his interview about a year ago and he pretty much said he got the sense that all they really wanted to know is why he wanted Pharmacy and his experiences working as a tech.(He served in the local community neighboring the Davie campus) Their goal is to find someone that will represent their alum with professionalism so grades are not everything as long as you show you have the competency to endure their program and show you can communicate with others. If you get the interview all you have to do is basically make yourself very personable and you are pretty much golden. (They like their own students, but they have a preference for Florida graduates in general) Sorry for the late reply myself Im in my second year at FSU, and have been getting my butt kicked in Organic chem. I got a way to go before I apply lol.

^Don't worry about it. My reply is later. XD

Orgo 1 is the most difficult class out of the pre-reqs so says the general consensus. Hang in there hon! If I pass it, you can too! In fact, anyone can.

The class that kicked my butt the hardest was Calculus I. I hate that class.

Hi everybody!

Since I'm in living in south florida, I was wondering which schools are "good" pharmacy schools? any info. is appreciated (courses,professors, student/academic life,..etc)

Do I really need a BS before applying.? I'm not afraid of the work just the time that goes into all of it and the tuition!

I applied to palm beach state college to do my pre reqs and was wondering if anyone else is attending that college and is working on their pre pharmacy courses?!

Thanks in advance! Any info is appreciated :)

I was wondering if you would mind giving us an update? I am in a similar situation, except I am deciding between attending FAU or PBA to do prereqs for 2 years before applying to pharmacy school.
How easy/hard was it to get into a pharmacy school?

I was wondering if you would mind giving us an update? I am in a similar situation, except I am deciding between attending FAU or PBA to do prereqs for 2 years before applying to pharmacy school.

have you worked in a pharmacy before? Why do you want to become a pharmacist? have you shadowed a pharmacist before