pharmacy schools look at what colleges you go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starfish18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, im a senior in high school and i live in CA
people recommend me to go to UC schools (harder classes; better reputation)
others tell me to go to Cal state schools (easier)
do pharmacy schools look at what universities you go to?
in the longrun, is it just based on how well you do in school?

Members don't see this ad.

I know for a fact that UCSF "discriminates" against the calstates.

If you're a senior....I think you die is pretty well cast for next near. You've either prepared to get accepted to a UC or you haven't. Transferring from a CalState to a UC is almost impossible, unless you have unusual circumstances.

However, that said.....for the UC pharmacy schools - they look at lots of things. They want to see the difficulty of the courses you took. They want to see that consistently - not just at the end. They want to see you become involved in something which will show your leadership potential & the potential to take initiative. Yes...schools do look at the place you did your prerequisites.

That said....I'm not sure you can't accomplish all that at a Cal State - it depends on where & what you do while you're there.

If you are going to a jc next year - take the most difficult courses you can then you can consider transferring to any 4 year school.

I cannot speak for the other CA schools - I don't know anything about their admission requirements, practices nor how their statistics have looked for the last few years.

You can usually find the data which is publish annually about each school. It takes about 6 months to publish data though....so this years entering class data might not be available until spring. You'd get a picture though from past classes.

Good luck!