Pharmacy Schools Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tikristi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Talking about school ratings,can any one tell what parameter is used to rank pharmacy schools? and why some pharmacy schools names do not even appear on the ranking list? I just want to be sure that there aren't discriminations (that is based on the pharmacy school one attended)while searching for jobs. I'll appreciate any clarification please.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Where you went to school really doesn't matter. What matters most is that your a good pharmacist. Don't worry about the rankings, and apply to the schools you think you will like the best.

I don't think that's true...some schools have a different focus and average student quality. Not all PharmDs are equal in that respect because some programs provide different resources than others. You know that people coming from UCSF will be very highly qualified in many respects given the legacy that has come before them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how the publications rank pharmacy schools, but in my head I would rank the schools according to how well-prepared the students come out of the program. I talked to the head pharmacist at the hospital I work at (he's a USC alum, has worked at several hospitals in California and with residency programs), and he told me that the top students of pharmacy programs are all at the same level. They all can perform at the same level and are not at an educational advantage/disadvantage by what school they went to. Of course that's not to say that their resources are equal -- some programs have more to offer to their students than others (such as rotation sites, choices of electives, etc). On the other hand, he said you might be able to judge a school by looking at students at the bottom of the totem pole :p because after all, they're still going to be pharmacists.

Thanks a lot guys.
Your responses are really helpful.