SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Pharmacy schools to avoid?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by whycali, Aug 17, 2017.

1. whycali

whycali

Aug 17, 2017
    Until recently, I was just going to apply to in-state schools, but now I'm being more serious about tuition. California, I love you, but your costs. Why. I'm trying to narrow down my list, but I'm currently at 121 schools. Cry. I'm looking into schools with a low GPA requirement (2.7-2.8).

I'm still going to do my research, but if there are any schools with red flags, I would love to know. I'm already avoiding pre-candidate/candidate schools. Thank you!

btcao likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Peterpiper1

Peterpiper1

Mar 6, 2017
    Just look at their NAPLEX passing rate and residency match stats, the higher the better for both. You can usually find them on the school's website. As far as specific schools to avoid, just look out for brand new schools without much history (i.e. Larkin in Miami), and For-Profit schools, other than that they're all pretty solid. If you're looking into schools with low GPA requirements I have to assume your grades aren't the best. Now that's okay because most schools take people with 2.0's, but really think about whether you'll be able to stand the rigors of pharmacy school because it will be tough if you struggled with your core sciences and math.
    Now that I've answered your question I feel it's my duty as a pharmacy student to tell you to please make sure this is what you really want to do and not because you saw the salary figures for Pharmacist and think it's an easy way to make money. I might be giving you unsolicited advice, but if you're smart you're best bet would be not to go into pharmacy at all.
    I would consider PA, DO, Dentistry, Engineering, Computer Science, or even a masters program before pharmacy at this point. There are simply no jobs out there right now and with more and more graduates it's only going to get worse. Most of us are graduating 4 years older, with 200000+ debt and no job to repay it. If you do happen to find a job, you're every move will be scrutinized. It is not uncommon to hear of pharmacist getting fired on their first day just for them to bring in the next recent grad.
    I'm sorry for the doom and gloom but it's only right to warn people before its too late.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  4. CetiAlphaFive

CetiAlphaFive

Apr 12, 2016
    Usually schools that you want to avoid are the ones that would take someone with a low GPA.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

5. Hohohee1

Hohohee1 2+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2015
    are you stoichiometrist ?

Rxgodawgs, capri1722 and scong like this.
  6. CetiAlphaFive

CetiAlphaFive

Apr 12, 2016
    This is what someone's priority was at 3am on New Year's day.

Sad.

7. Blizzard1mage

Blizzard1mage 5+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2012
    121 schools? By what criteria are you looking for schools? For most people, where they want to live is a top consideration - maybe start there. Or perhaps cost, as it sounds like a main concern for you.

capri1722 likes this.
  8. Pharmacy Princess

Pharmacy Princess

Jan 8, 2018
    Awesome! try for the best schools with high NAPLEX pass rate (how can you practice if you cant pass right? :smuggrin:) but besides stats... narrow it down to cost, required pcat scores (or not), experience required etc.
    Usually a school with low GPA requirements is something to avoid :nailbiting:..... no matter how close it is too home!
    Lots of singing birds and woodland creatures,
    The Princess... I mean Future Pharmacist :whistle: