Pharmacy specializations: Oncology and Infectious Diseases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor246

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the listed specializations above. I have always been interested in pharmacy since I was younger, and when I graduate I would like to further my academia. Can you people elaborate each specialization? And although not important, Is there an increased salary in these specializations?

Members don't see this ad.

ive done a bit of research on this and shadowing it is pretty neat stuff actually. As an oncology pharm...you deal with only cancer patients and prep therapy plans and specific medication time and usages ahead of a patients arrival. Some patients wont even take the med with out seeing the oncology pharm give it to them personally for their own comfort with a physician around as well. infectious disease is similar but you also do research on the job inspecting and such it varies. My advice find some in your area and shadow.

Remember what we told you in the cardiology pharmacist thread? That is going to be the answer for every area of pharmacy you can think of. Any sort of specialization is just going to benefit your quality of work or professional interest, the money is still going to be higher in retail.

Go to indeed.com, search for the jobs you are interested in and the area you want to live. Some institutions will list their salary range there. Let that be your guide.

For instance, the university of Miami uHealth has had postings for a transplant pharmacist with the pay range being 94-140k. Guess where you'll start on that scale, even with a PGY2?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember what we told you in the cardiology pharmacist thread? That is going to be the answer for every area of pharmacy you can think of. Any sort of specialization I just going to benefit your quality of work or professional interest, the money is still going to be higher in retail.

Go to indeed.com, search for the jobs you are interested in and the area you want to live. Some institutions will list their salary range there. Let that be your guide.

For instance, the university of Miami uHealth has had postings for a transplant pharmacist with the pay range being 94-140k. Guess where you'll start on that scale, even with a PGY2?
Thank You! You're answer is very helpful. I'm just really passionate about pharmacy and I want to further my academia, however I don't want to be a doctor. I would be just fine in specializing in anything really. I would like to enjoy my speciality, and make a higher salary to pay off my expenses. If I were to specialize in organ transplant, would that "field" make a higher salary than a retail pharmacist?

Thank You! You're answer is very helpful. I'm just really passionate about pharmacy and I want to further my academia, however I don't want to be a doctor. I would be just fine in specializing in anything really. I would like to enjoy my speciality, and make a higher salary to pay off my expenses. If I were to specialize in organ transplant, would that "field" make a higher salary than a retail pharmacist?

gwarm literally just answered that question. And it's been repeatedly answered. No specialty will make more than retail. PERIOD. Specialties, for the most part, make the same amount of money. What determines salary is the type of hospital. I'm not sure why you're so concerned with salary if you want to specialize so badly, or vise versa.

The better question to ask is, which specialties actually has job availability.

What is the demand for oncology pharmacists? What is the demand for retail pharmacists? How much money does an oncology pharmacist generate (or save)? How much money does a retail pharmacist generate?

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to make a high salary specialize in retail
OP: read this, memorize this, accept this. It's the sad truth.

I am a pediatric clinical pharmacist with experience in oncology, critical care, transplants, and neonatal nutrition. I barely cracked 100k at my last job, despite having more specialized training and knowledge than a retail pharmacist. That's just the reality of pharmacy.

Do what you want because you want to do it, just realize that the money is going to be the same or slightly less regardless. Unless you move to California, the one state that pays hospital pharmacists more than retail. Which stinks for the retail people, because hospital gigs are usually pretty relaxed.

Sorry guys I tried my best in the cardiology thread. I feel like I failed you. Please let me offer this sacrifice of this innocent pre-Pharm student as forgiveness. He wishes to do PGY-3's in every speciality under the illusion he'll make more cash.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry guys I tried my best in the cardiology thread. I feel like I failed you. Please let me offer this sacrifice of this innocent pre-Pharm student as forgiveness. He wishes to do PGY-3's in every speciality under the illusion he'll make more cash.
don't blame him...everyone thinks they're special

Google Pfizer Pharmacy Career Guides. I think this will help your pharmacy exploration although it's a bit older