Pharmacy student without experience??

Started by htkat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

htkat

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a first year pharmacy student without much prior experience working in a pharmacy. I worked for about a year as a volunteer in a hospital pharmacy but that is about it. I'm currently looking for a pharmacy technician job to get experience but no one seems to be hiring in my area. Any positions that are open are for days that I cannot work.

Everyone in school tells me it who I know, not what I know and that nowadays pharmacists without experience will not be hired. One p2 student even told me that 20% of people who graduate from our school don't get jobs. And we are a top 10 pharmacy school! Most of the people I know have previous tech experience or are currently working as techs. I'm really worried... How can I get experience or distinguish myself so that I won't be one of the 20% unemployed pharmacists? Is tech experience really that important?
 
I'm currently a first year pharmacy student without much prior experience working in a pharmacy. I worked for about a year as a volunteer in a hospital pharmacy but that is about it. I'm currently looking for a pharmacy technician job to get experience but no one seems to be hiring in my area. Any positions that are open are for days that I cannot work.

Everyone in school tells me it who I know, not what I know and that nowadays pharmacists without experience will not be hired. One p2 student even told me that 20% of people who graduate from our school don't get jobs. And we are a top 10 pharmacy school! Most of the people I know have previous tech experience or are currently working as techs. I'm really worried... How can I get experience or distinguish myself so that I won't be one of the 20% unemployed pharmacists? Is tech experience really that important?

I don't believe 20% of pharmD students from a "top 10" school don't ever get pharmacy jobs.:laugh: Your still in your first year. Wait till you do your IPPE, that'll give you experience.
 
I don't believe 20% of pharmD students from a "top 10" school don't ever get pharmacy jobs.:laugh: Your still in your first year. Wait till you do your IPPE, that'll give you experience.

Everyone has IPPE's, that won't make you special at all except maybe give you something to talk about if you get called for an interview.

Keep trying, your best bet is to ask your friends who already work at hospitals/other areas and ask them if/when they're hiring. Usually, by the time a position gets posted online, there's already 2-3 "inside track" applicants who have interviewed....or they've already hired and the position is online for policy reasons.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone has IPPE's, that won't make you special at all except maybe give you something to talk about if you get called for an interview.

Keep trying, your best bet is to ask your friends who already work at hospitals/other areas and ask them if/when they're hiring. Usually, by the time a position gets posted online, there's already 2-3 "inside track" applicants who have interviewed....or they've already hired and the position is online for policy reasons.

He's not trying to be special, he's trying to get some initial experience. Not everyone applying for pharm tech jobs are pharmacy students so among all pharm tech applicants not all will have IPPE expeirence.
 
He's not trying to be special, he's trying to get some initial experience. Not everyone applying for pharm tech jobs are pharmacy students so among all pharm tech applicants not all will have IPPE expeirence.

uhm....ah nevermind, i'll reply on tuesday