Pharmacy Summer Internship for HS students?

Started by muslimun
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

muslimun

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I am a senior in HS and i want to work at a pharmacy this coming summer. Is it possible that they take in HS students who have no experience in Pharmacy? Also How many hours a week do inters generally work? 40 hours? I've heard of Walgreens internship, but do you have to be in pharmacy school or at the very least, be doing pre-pharm?

Thanks!
 
Hi,
I am a senior in HS and i want to work at a pharmacy this coming summer. Is it possible that they take in HS students who have no experience in Pharmacy? Also How many hours a week do inters generally work? 40 hours? I've heard of Walgreens internship, but do you have to be in pharmacy school or at the very least, be doing pre-pharm?

Thanks!

Intern means pharmacy student (you actually get an intern licence while in pharmacy school - cool, right? :laugh:). So you cannot be an "intern" in HS or pre-pharm. Don't let that stop you from trying to get a job in a pharmacy though.

You should definitely pursue getting a job in a pharmacy, that is a GREAT plan. You would be at best a tech. Great way to get experience and also make some cash. I 100% recommend this.

Good Luck!
 
Intern means pharmacy student (you actually get an intern licence while in pharmacy school - cool, right? :laugh:). So you cannot be an "intern" in HS or pre-pharm. Don't let that stop you from trying to get a job in a pharmacy though.

You should definitely pursue getting a job in a pharmacy, that is a GREAT plan. You would be at best a tech. Great way to get experience and also make some cash. I 100% recommend this.

Good Luck!

Ok thanks! So what is the quickest or best way for me to become a pharmacist tech? Does it require knowing a lot of chemestry and biology (hence I must have several science courses already completed) or can I start studying to become a pharmacist tech straight out of HS?

How long does it take to become a certified tech? 1 year? 2 months? Can I take a course online? Can I study a book for several months and then take a test? Does becoming a tech require previose science knowlege?

What exactly do Pharmacist Tech do? What is their pay. Can I study pharmacy tech for 3-5 months starting from now and finish as I start my 2 year college and then work part time in a pharmacy as a pharmacy tech for 2 years? If I do this, will It dramaticly increase my chances of entering a pharmacy school with only 2 year undergrad?

Thanks! All replys are greatly appreciated!

Thanks?
 
Ok thanks! So what is the quickest or best way for me to become a pharmacist tech? Does it require knowing a lot of chemestry and biology (hence I must have several science courses already completed) or can I start studying to become a pharmacist tech straight out of HS?

How long does it take to become a certified tech? 1 year? 2 months? Can I take a course online? Can I study a book for several months and then take a test? Does becoming a tech require previose science knowlege?

What exactly do Pharmacist Tech do? What is their pay. Can I study pharmacy tech for 3-5 months starting from now and finish as I start my 2 year college and then work part time in a pharmacy as a pharmacy tech for 2 years? If I do this, will It dramaticly increase my chances of entering a pharmacy school with only 2 year undergrad?

Thanks! All replys are greatly appreciated!

Thanks?

Oh my God! Do we have a record for most questions per post? Do we? Do we? huh? huh? :laugh:

I think in most states all you need to do to become a pharmacy tech is get a job as a pharmacy tech. Some states require registering with the board and some states even require a license. You can get this information from YOUR state's Board of Pharmacy website. You certainly do not need to have completed any college level work for this job.

The pay sucks, basically entry level wages, especially with no experience. Remember you are their for the experience, not the pay. Hospitals pay more than CVS, but good luck trying to get a hospital job with no experience.

The only thing that will DRAMATICALLY increase your odds are high grades + high PCAT. But work experience is great for several reasons, so I highly recommend it.

Spell check is your friend for long posts (short ones too!).

I think I covered most of your questions, but who knows? :laugh: