Pharmacy Survey #2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apteekki Mies

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
goo.gl/forms/YgHMWc3d6KuxlpAU2
Hello, once again I am continuing my research project and am looking for anyone willing to take my quick 10-15 minute survey about your experience on SDN and some common conflicts/disagreements that you've seen. Simply copy the link above, it's completely private, any participation would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

OP, post your class IRB due to the BYU policy.

You are in violation of your school's human subjects policy, and I will report you for such if you do not clarify this within the week.

Foundation English class at BYU-I
I am not in any violation of the human subjects policy in any form, under classroom vs. research activity at the bottom of your own link posted above you can find further info on how I am not in any form of violation. For further clarification if you still so desire, this research I am conducting is for a class project at BYU-I Foundations English class 101, if you follow the link you'll find more information about the privacy steps I have taken and that no information will be shared outside of the classroom, all names will be omitted, etc. By participating in the survey it is assumed consent to participate as defined by the IRB. I appreciate your concern for others but I am well aware of what bounds I am in regarding my research and if you feel I have not adequately followed protocol then please feel free to contact BYU-I with your concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long have you been a member of the this Forum?
15 years

How did you hear about this Forum?
I don't know it was 15 years ago. I probably did a search on Yahoo or something.

What would you say the main goal or purpose of this Pharmacy Forum is?
Trolling other pharmacists. Also, general investing discussion. The only discussions that are taken seriously. Because most of us want to retire as early as humanly possible.

What is your experience in the pharmacy?
Pharmacist
Pharmacy Technician
Pharmacy Student
Other:All three of the above

What are some common or recurring conflicts/arguments you’ve noticed on this SDN forum?
Everyone doesn't agree with my opinion, which is obviously the right one.

How do other members react to any arguments/disagreements? I.e. Do they join in the argument, simply observe, etc.
They mostly argue. Which I find entertaining and keeps me coming back. There is a reason Jerry Springer was a ratings winner.

Do you feel the moderators/administrators adequately attempt to stop arguments? Or simply make sure they stay on topic and professional in order to further discussion? How do you feel they do?
The mods let things go unless it goes way over the line. Which is great. Don't let this lead you to believe I like the mods. I still think they suck.

How would you or have you handled any conflicts or disagreements?
Demanded satisfaction via duel

Do you feel like any pharmacy slang/vocabulary are used regularly in discussions?
Yes. If anyone answers this "no" they are illiterate or stumbled upon the wrong survey.

Any further comments you'd like to add about things you like or dislike about this forum?
Pitt sucks at basketball and football.

Reactions: 3 users
12 years

I can from the gas forum or the doctorgas forum, whatever it was. I have no idea how I ended up there.

Entertainment and socialization. Education is a secondary purpose.

Pharmacist
Pharmacy Technician
Pharmacy Student
Other:All three of the above

What are some common or recurring conflicts/arguments you’ve noticed on this SDN forum?
The same left/right excessive dichotomy one can find anywhere. Some minor ones are the few who are adamant that vaccines kill, in spite of the majority of this forum disagreeing. And one forum member who believes that repacking drugs will increase the expiration date....this is the one issue that every other member of this forum can hold hands and agree together is completely wrong.

How do other members react to any arguments/disagreements? I.e. Do they join in the argument, simply observe, etc.
Well, I have no idea how many lurkers there are who just observe. Given the views of topics compared to the posters, it would seem there are many, many lurkers. But it could just be one person continually refreshing the thread for all I know. So this is impossible to answer at the poster level. Perhaps the site administrators would have a better answer by observing IP addresses, but even that is not a perfect science.

Now if one is talking about "frequent" posters, it's still impossible to know if they have seen a particular thread. I consider myself a "frequent" poster, but when I get busy, I might not check in for a week or so, and I usually just read the current threads, I don't have time to go through every thread I missed.

I think this question is very unscientific.

Do you feel the moderators/administrators adequately attempt to stop arguments? Or simply make sure they stay on topic and professional in order to further discussion? How do you feel they do?

On this particular forum, the mods take a very hands off approach which I greatly appreciate! I assume they delete the obvious Nigerian Prince type span which is also appreciated. Each forum on this board has different mods, so moderating can and does differ on different forums.

Well, I purposefully refused to "like" their post, of course. And then I sign off knowing that their life probably sucks, which is the only reason they felt led to disagree with me, even though I was obviously correct.

Do you feel like any pharmacy slang/vocabulary are used regularly in discussions?

Well, probably. I'm so used to pharmacy slang, that I barely even register it as such.

Any further comments you'd like to add about things you like or dislike about this forum?

I like being able to talk with other pharmacists and get their thoughts and opinions on stuff. Even when they are wrong, it's interesting to know other thoughts of view. I don't have time in real life to socialize with other pharmacists or talk about a lot of stuff at work with other pharmacists, so this board provides a convenient method to do so. Because as pharmacists, we have a shared school and work experience, that is a huge part of our life.

Reactions: 1 user
4 years

I was looking for mcat prep info when I was trying to get into med school.

80/20 entertainment/useful information.

Pharmacy student

Some political stuff and an endless argument on the exact level of just how screwed this profession is/will be. Oh, and the occasional griping about feeding into the PAtopharm conversations, which may or may not be people arguing with a bot. :lol:

How would I know who is just observing?

All I can speak to is my own involvement, which is minimal. I don't know enough about pharmacy practice to argue with any of the old timers since I'm just a student and I'm too old to argue with the kids about trivial crap that doesn't really matter.

I don't even know who the moderators are, which is a clear sign they're doing something right.

I don't really have time or energy for internet drama, so I would most likely just click and move on.

As a first year student, I am able to get the gist of the conversations, so it must not be too bad.

I like the financial/investing threads and there are some interesting characters here. Also, the first-hand advice from people working in the various types of pharmacies is helpful.

9 years.

I really don't recall. Probably googled "Pharmacy School".

Helping students become doctors, naturally.

Mostly dismal but it's a living.

Well we do love to debate the minutia for controls and the exact meaning of such vague words as "New", "Forward", and "transfer". Also I have noticed that even when confronted with facts/evidence people will basically not change their belief/understanding of certain topics. It's good practice for dealing with fact-challenged people in real life.

The vast, vast majority of people lurk. Of those that are active, some are very, very active and others are less active. I am not sure what the point of this question is. I would say the vast majority of posters know how to keep their cool and not cross the line when discussions get 'heated'.

The moderators are just the worst. SDN would be better off without them. I think they practically encourage the arguments!

Usually by wondering when it will be possible to relocate to Mars.

I mean we don't routinely talk in SIG code language but sure, we use words in ways the general public wouldn't.

I like how people will go out of their way to help you in one thread and fight to the death over the smallest detail in another. Keeps things fresh/interesting/fun. I also enjoy that I learn about such diverse topics as finance or electric cars in the same forum that we discuss such fascinating pharmacy topics as...uh...er....well...I will get back to you with that example.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, and the occasional griping about feeding into the PAtopharm conversations, which may or may not be people arguing with a bot. :lol:

My god. I never even considered this possibility, but it would explain so much.

Reactions: 1 users