Pharmacy tech and criminal record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gf08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 years ago I was charged with an ovi #1 misdemeanor possession and Paraphernalia of weed. I was never convicted of these crimes. They were dismissed. I blew a .06 and the paraphernalia and weed wasn’t mine. I am wondering if I get these expunged would I still be able to get my pharmacy tech certification?

Members don't see this ad.

3 years ago I was charged with an ovi #1 misdemeanor possession and Paraphernalia of weed. I was never convicted of these crimes. They were dismissed. I blew a .06 and the paraphernalia and weed wasn’t mine. I am wondering if I get these expunged would I still be able to get my pharmacy tech certification?
if they are expunged -the board wouldn't know about it. But you were arrested, not convicted, so their is nothing to be expunged, right?

Obviously each state is different, but I know some states who could care less about misdemeanor pot possession

Reactions: 1 user
if they are expunged -the board wouldn't know about it. But you were arrested, not convicted, so their is nothing to be expunged, right?

Obviously each state is different, but I know some states who could care less about misdemeanor pot possession

They are still on my record though. I did a background check on myself and the charges came up but under disposition it says dismissal. If the board runs a background check they will see I was charged with those crimes

Members don't see this ad :)
They are still on my record though. I did a background check on myself and the charges came up but under disposition it says dismissal. If the board runs a background check they will see I was charged with those crimes

Yes, the arrest will still be on file so you will need to get that expunged. Get that lawyer on board. Best of luck to you.

Yes, the arrest will still be on file so you will need to get that expunged. Get that lawyer on board. Best of luck to you.
but on all of the questionaires, don't they only ask if you have been convicted?

but on all of the questionaires, don't they only ask if you have been convicted?

Depends for sure. Some will ask if you have been arrested too. I would just do the whole process of expungement or sealing the record to be safe though. Expensive but worth.

Depends for sure. Some will ask if you have been arrested too. I would just do the whole process of expungement or sealing the record to be safe though. Expensive but worth.
worth it to get a tech license? We all know the job is underpaid and underappreciated - I would try something else that you don't have to worry about it

just my two cents worth

worth it to get a tech license? We all know the job is underpaid and underappreciated - I would try something else that you don't have to worry about it

just my two cents worth

I am trying to go to pharmacy school eventually so I need the experience. I have my bs in chemistry pre med but I don’t have pharm tech experience which schools like to see on applications

I am trying to go to pharmacy school eventually so I need the experience. I have my bs in chemistry pre med but I don’t have pharm tech experience which schools like to see on applications
that does change things
although I wouldn't worry about getting a tech license to apply to pharm school - I doubt it would make or break 99.9% of applications. Although I would suggest getting a job as a tech prior to going to pharm to school to ensure it is for you.

Plus - if you don't want to deal with the potential hassle getting your RPh license, it would be nice to have it expunged. FWIW a good friend of mine has a conviction for possession - he went to the board right before he took his naplex and they said "no worries, have a good life"

Look at the board actions in your state. If its anything like mine "honesty is the best rule." If you apply for a license and later on, they believe you lied on your application, your license will be gone and good luck getting a rph license. Then that will carry over to other states. In fact, if in doubt I would disclose it. Its confidential anyway.

For a tech I don’t think anything matters as long as it’s not a felony...

you need to get this records expunged/removed. it may cost money and will cost lots of time visiting the court house to deal with their archaic system.

that does change things
although I wouldn't worry about getting a tech license to apply to pharm school - I doubt it would make or break 99.9% of applications. Although I would suggest getting a job as a tech prior to going to pharm to school to ensure it is for you.

Plus - if you don't want to deal with the potential hassle getting your RPh license, it would be nice to have it expunged. FWIW a good friend of mine has a conviction for possession - he went to the board right before he took his naplex and they said "no worries, have a good life"

What is more important that being licensed is getting a job. A arrest record that is view-able by a potential employer in a competitive hiring environment could spell disaster for getting one's first job. OP should do everything in their power to hide/clean up / erase / expunge the record. Employers DO discriminate (often illegally) based on trivial arrests.