Pharmacy tech as a job reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it weird to have a tech as a reference?

• Total voters

jennerz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't think it's weird cause they see you work everyday. I'm not saying they'll be the only reference but I need 5 and I've only worked at 1 place since pharmacy school. I was thinking of 1 senior tech as a reference.

Members don't see this ad.

It is because of the power dynamic. If you are a pharmacist you are expected to supervise the techs. No tech will write your eval.

It is because of the power dynamic. If you are a pharmacist you are expected to supervise the techs. No tech will write your eval.
Thanks for your input. I actually googled it some more after posting this. I've read that a lot of reference checkers like seeing an all around reference list. At least one from a superior, a peer, and a subordinate. I think I might follow that. It's not like the tech that I'm requesting is a newb or anything. He's had over 20 years of experience so I think he'll be alright

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. I actually googled it some more after posting this. I've read that a lot of reference checkers like seeing an all around reference list. At least one from a superior, a peer, and a subordinate. I think I might follow that. It's not like the tech that I'm requesting is a newb or anything. He's had over 20 years of experience so I think he'll be alright

I don't know.. I would feel weird doing it, like I didn't have enough peers that respected me or something. Doesn't mean it's wrong or you won't get the job. Especially if it's some HR person that knows nothing about pharmacy.

I don't know.. I would feel weird doing it, like I didn't have enough peers that respected me or something. Doesn't mean it's wrong or you won't get the job. Especially if it's some HR person that knows nothing about pharmacy.

Understandable. It's honestly not that I don't have enough peers. We have 10 pharmacists working in one day and I can easily ask half of them to be a reference. I just feel like maybe my list needs to look more diverse and not all from my peers

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I honestly don't think it's weird cause they see you work everyday. I'm not saying they'll be the only reference but I need 5 and I've only worked at 1 place since pharmacy school. I was thinking of 1 senior tech as a reference.

I understand your logic in putting down a senior tech, but I think overall you'd be better off with another pharmacist or faculty reference. I would personally be interested in seeing how a tech views an intern or RPh, but pharmacy management seems to take very little stock in their opinion overall, at least from my experience at several different companies. I took over a store as a new grad last year, and I was pretty surprised to hear that my boss has never asked the lead tech with 5+ years at my store her opinion of me.

It's not that surprising. Most sups don't give a **** about people, much less what their subordinates' direct reports think.