Pharmacy Tech: Certificate or Diploma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missflyygirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between getting a Certificate or a Diploma in the Pharmacy Technology Program? My Community college offer the Diploma degree. But Online, I saw a school that offered a Certificate and a Diploma program. I was just wondering if its any difference or not?

Members don't see this ad.

The real difference is that in most states these Pharmacy Technician certificate/degree programs are not required for national certification. It may be required in some states to attend a program, but I strongly suggest that you make sure it is required where you live. Otherwise, these programs can be costly and can consume as much time as could be counted toward an "actual" degree.

I recommend that you reply with your state, or check into the requirements there, more importantly. It should not be hard. You should be able to research this information online.

However, if you are interested in taking the course for your own benefit, I would enroll in a program such as continuing education would offer. Choose the program that takes less time to complete, as the fundamentals for a pharmacy technician can actually be self-studied, anyway. Some people may do well with that hands-on learning as opposed to self-study.

Anyway, there are a lot of books to study for the exam and you might want to start there by researching online- search the forums on that topic, especially since we have a few different threads with book recommendations.

Missflyygirl said:
Whats the difference between getting a Certificate or a Diploma in the Pharmacy Technology Program? My Community college offer the Diploma degree. But Online, I saw a school that offered a Certificate and a Diploma program. I was just wondering if its any difference or not?

What state are you in or do you want to work in? The certificate is usually just a paper indicating you have completed all requirements of the program offered.

The diploma may or may not have value - if it is an AA from an accredited school - then thats exactly what you have - an AA. Like the difference between a BS or BA degree - it is a recognized completion of coursework which is determined by the accreditation body for higher education.

Now...there are lots of online diplomas - for $10 you can buy one in almost anything. You gotta do your homework & find out if they are accredited.