Pharmacy Tech certification-self studying

Started by xmalibu26
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xmalibu26

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just graduated from high school, and was planning on taking the pharm tech certification test at the end of the summer. I've been wrking as a tech since the summer after my junior year and was wondering if anyone knew any good books tht I could use to study?

My major prob is that usually the pharmacy pays for the tests and classes and stuff, but my pharmacist is kind of discouraging me to take the test
bc A) she thinks im too young (but i have my diploma), and B. Im starting college in the fall as a pre-pharm (but im still going to be wrking once or twice a month)
soo basically, i cant take the training courses that cvs offers bc she wont refer me, and i dont want to go behind her back and ask the district trainer myself. but im stubborn, so im gonna self study lol

So does anyone has any tips, and any book suggestions that will help me pass this if i self study?

ohh and if i do pass it, will i have to take another test to be state liscensed?
 
use the search button, there are a lot of books, seminars, and classes that will help you prepare for this test.

I personally thought the test was easy as pie. If you have any idea on how to do simple math conversions, you already know half of the test. You do need to brush up on pharmacy law, drug names/classification, some IV stuff.

I would self study, take the test, and once you pass, have CVS reimburse you. There are alot of reasons why she won't refer you, and some of those reasons aren't necessarily bad. I wouldn't go over her head, pharmacy is a very very small world.

As for having to take another test (such as a state licensing) or applying for a state license, it depends on the state. Some states require it, other's do not, or other's require you to get a ptcb to get a state license, etc. You need to be more specific, and you should ask one of the techs that you work with on what you need to do in order to work in your state.
 
I had to self study because the place I work doesn't provide free classes or pay to take the exam =(. But like the poster above, the test wasn't hard at all. I used Mosby's Review for the PTCB and basically studied from that for ~5 hours.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if youve been working for bout a couple of months, and u have a decent memory, u should be able to pass the test. most of my exam was just simple math and law questions. i found a book at barnes and nobles, u can check online they should still have it. other than that, i did the same thing u did, i started working the summer before i started college, so your not to young.
she may just want to keep you as a clerk, because Pharms are only allowed a certain number of techs ???
 
I finished college in mid May and took the test on the end of May, so about 2 weeks of studying. I had to guess all the generics because I didn't bother learning about drugs and their classifications, but I still passed. Math was so easy.
 
I agree with the above two posts. Just focus on the math and pharmacy laws and you will be fine. A lot of the questions were common sense and did not require much studying.
 
I just graduated from high school, and was planning on taking the pharm tech certification test at the end of the summer. I've been wrking as a tech since the summer after my junior year and was wondering if anyone knew any good books tht I could use to study?

My major prob is that usually the pharmacy pays for the tests and classes and stuff, but my pharmacist is kind of discouraging me to take the test
bc A) she thinks im too young (but i have my diploma), and B. Im starting college in the fall as a pre-pharm (but im still going to be wrking once or twice a month)
soo basically, i cant take the training courses that cvs offers bc she wont refer me, and i dont want to go behind her back and ask the district trainer myself. but im stubborn, so im gonna self study lol

So does anyone has any tips, and any book suggestions that will help me pass this if i self study?

ohh and if i do pass it, will i have to take another test to be state liscensed?

hey you are not too young to take the test... but if you can take the training tht cvs gives it will be good... they provide with the best poss book and also pay for the test for 1st time.. though i self studied and passed it.. i used pharmacy technician certification by Patricia.. but i wud strongly suggest taking the trainign frm cvs trainer
 
Thanks! do you guys know any specific names/authors for books?

and is there a website to find out if i need to take another state liscensing exam in maryland, bc i couldnt find it on the ptcb site
 
Hey guys. Can someone please answer my question. I been going through the Mosby's review book and have mostly everything down. I know how the exam is split up and what the sections will be, but how much and how difficult was the drug classification/naming part? I just can't seem to get it down, I know the broad groups and what they treat, but the actual drugs, their brand name, and dosage..I just can't remember all of it. Did the exam just have simple matching or something else?

Thanks
 
Drug names are easily the hardest part on the exam. However, they do not compose a significant portion of the exam. You could probably miss all of those questions and still pass.

If you're in cram mode, I would focus on everything else first, and then do drug names last.

--Garfield3d