Pharmacy Tech I vs II?

Started by gremlinsxx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gremlinsxx

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been seeing applications open for Pharmacy Technician I and II jobs and I was wondering what the difference was. It says the the II gets paid a couple dollars more an hour and requires a completion of a pharmacy program or 6 months of pharm tech experience. I didn't think you could do tech work at all without being certified, but the I is mail order. Would doing that for enough time give me experience enough to get certified?

Also, both require 6 months of customer service. I worked fast food, so does that count or does it have to be being a waiter or one of those people taking complaints for a company?

Lastly, would you recommend starting as a hospital pharmacy tech or in retail?
 
Last edited:
I don't know what the difference between I and II are, but my recommendation is to start out in retail. I believe most hospital tech jobs involve IV admixture which would require some prior experience or at least an IV certification.
 
I don't know what the difference between I and II are, but my recommendation is to start out in retail. I believe most hospital tech jobs involve IV admixture which would require some prior experience or at least an IV certification.

Would mail order require that as well? I only ask, because it seems like this hospital pays like $16 an hour for not even being certified. Thanks for your help.