Pharmacy Tech in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingroger317

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I tried searching for this, but most of the threads on this seem to have incomplete answers.

IF i want to work as a pharm tech in california, do i just have to pass the test (i think called PTCE?) and that's it? Can someone help me out, i'm more than bit confused. Thanks

Roger

Members don't see this ad.

You could take the PTCB test and then after you pass it, you could apply to get a license in CA. The application could be found on the California pharmacy board website.

is that all you have to do? No classes or training required? Just test and send in money for license?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's two ways to get your license. You can take classes at a vocational school specifically to train you to be a pharmacy technician OR you can take the PTCB test and just pass it.

I just got my license recently, I skipped the year of school and 9 or 10 thousand dollar tuition for the training and just took the PTCB test. It wasn't too bad, I passed. After you pass the test, you can apply for a license from the state
http://pharmacy.ca.gov/

after you get finger printed and a copy of your PTCB certificate (notarized) then you get your license.

I want to give you a little warning though. Since I skipped the classes and just took the test, I have no formal training in how to do some of the basic things, like making an IV. So i'm having trouble finding a job as a pharm tech.
Because part of the training they'll give you in the school is that you'll work in a pharmacy as a tech (i believe), so i never learned some stuff.
So unless you have worked in a pharmacy before as a volunteer or a pharmacy clerk, you have a road block, b/c everyone that I talked to don't want to hire me b/c I have no real experience.

The only promising chance I had was to work at a Target Pharmacy, b/c they are very willing to train you(and if you work there, they're pay for your test and a review book i think) So if you can get your tech license, try starting there. Or maybe even before you get your license. The rules have changed in the past year so you might not be able to work there w/o a license.

So I guess my warning is that even though you might have your license, you still might have problems getting a job as a tech b/c you don't have experience or training. This is what i've encountered for the past 2 or 3 months. So i've started volunteering at a free clinic in their pharmacy and i'm gonna get my experience from there.

But don't let me scare you away from doing the PTCB test, I just wished that someone had told me before hand the trouble I had finding a job. I still would have done it anyway, but it would have been nice to have warning.
Anyway, good luck and hope this helps.

im looking to do the same thing, just take the test and try to get certified, but that probably wont help me in landing a job at any pharmacy because i dont really have any experience .............i checked it out, most of the pharmacies nowaday wont hire you unlesss you are certified, anyone knows any place where i can just come in and work, and get certified later.....

The license application says something about like 250 hours of training...... how do you prove that if you only took the ptCB test?

You do not fill that portion out if you are take the PTCB. Read the instructions on the first page, number 3. It says you could apply for the license if you have satisfied one of the 3 criterias.