Pharmacy Tech In Cvs!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STAR3URY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here works as a pharm tech/pharm clerk in CVS/Pharmacy?

Any advice on how you got the job, and how it is working there?

Members don't see this ad.

i am a tech at cvs and first you apply online at cvs.com and then they will process the application and call you. but also call the cvs you want to work for and contact the manager .

apply online to multiple stores, and there will always be one training store in each district. you just don't know which one. it usually a busy one with a lot of techs with high turn over rate like the one i worked at. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Holler!!! I'm a tech at CVS, great company to work for. We get like 10 pd holidays, good wages, and more overtime opportunities than I could ask for. I def recommend contacting the pharmacy manager directly because the apps go straight to the pharmacy fax machine and I have seen some get filed into the trash by insecure employees.

Holler!!! I'm a tech at CVS, great company to work for. We get like 10 pd holidays, good wages, and more overtime opportunities than I could ask for. I def recommend contacting the pharmacy manager directly because the apps go straight to the pharmacy fax machine and I have seen some get filed into the trash by insecure employees.

I guess it all depends on the area you work. Recently, CVS...once again...cut tech hours. Even though stores go over budget, they need to do it without less techs. Wages...they're above minimum wage...lol. The hospital are the big payers for techs. They took away our holiday pay for part-timers...so mad at the still and it was about 2 years ago. I don't know...maybe my pharmacy managers are just kiss asses to corporate. The one did get the coveted Paragon Award. I think once you become a pharmacist...it's a company to think about. Techs just seem to get the crappy end of the deal.

well i've worked at 2 different cvs stores. what i can say is DON'T ever work at a drive-thru store!!! b/c pplz get so pushy, they think it's like INN-N-OUT where u drop off and pick up w/in seconds.

as for how I got the job. I just apply at the machine, but I would say go talk to the pharmacy manager, ask them if they have any job openings. chances are, even if they are not hiring but they like u they might let u work for a day or two a week.

i know the store on brookhurst and chapman is always looking to hire more pplz...ask them! be warn tho, the manager is a _ _ _ _ _!

most people i knew at walgreen are happy, most people i knew at CVS are unhappy. unfortunately, i am at cvs, wrong choice in the beginning.

It's much harder to get a job at a Walgreen's I keep trying though.

Isn't being a clerk at Walgreen the same as being a cashier clerk at Rite Aid? Are they the same position or am I mistaken for two different types of clerks?

Here's my thoughts:

Walgreens pays you better than CVS, I know because I compared the wages among the techs at CVS vs. Walgreens. However, Walgreens makes you work for every penny they pay you as oppose to CVS.

I also hear Walgreens computer system is better than CVS. Yes, they're cutting down hours at CVS starting Jan. 2008.

I've worked at a store that was full of drama (gossip, backstabbing, the whole 9 yards); it was horrible, I felt like I was in a soap opera. I couldn't take it anymore so I left and now I'm at store that I enjoy being at because we all work together as a TEAM.

oh my gosh, don't do it! actually, make sure to get to know the people first. i hated my bosses. working at cvs as a tech was the worst job of my life. corporate sucks.

I work at a CVS and I love it...it is by far the best job I have ever had. However, I don't work full time and I would not want to because my store is so busy. Everyday is engaging and I learn so much about the pharmacy profession. I have a wonderful boss and excellent pharmacists and techs to work with. Even when I have a bad or stressful day at work I like to remember at the end of the day how much I learned ..you couldnt pay for the experience at an undergrad level!!
Dont get disheartened if you dont like your retail pharm tech job...think of it as a stepping stone to bigger and beter things!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work as an assistant manager at walgreens..I started as a tech for like a year and made the jump so of course I am partial to walgreens...It is a GREAT company to work for...benefits are unsurpassed ( 3:1 profit sharing ie every dollar you put in they match 3.xx) their pharmacy computer system is rediculously efficient and is a very easy company to move up in. They want people who are motivated and have the desire to advance. Their pay is great now as certified techs just got ANOTHER raise and senior techs now get the raise and a bonus dependant upon pharmacy volume on EVERY paycheck. You cannot go wrong with Walgreens...speaking of which, if anyone is lookin for a tech job in The Delray/ Boca Raton Florida area hit me up ;)

How about for pharmacy interns? Does anyone know which chainstore offers the best work environment, employee benefits, flexible work schedule, good pay, etc? Rite Aid, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS?

Thanks!

Wow! I guess it does matter what store you work in. I personally have had a very good experience at CVS, but I have to agree that those WG benefits sound unsurpassed. I wonder what their medical is like though (more important to me than stock options). Wherever you go, I must re-iterate what somebody said a few days ago: AVOID DRIVE THROUGHS! I did work at one of these and it was literal hell. People would get the feeling of self empower ment in their car and communicate things such as. "I don't care if I'm out of refills on an expired script I have never had at your store and it's Friday night, I'm not leaving without my script filled for a 90 day supply (even tho my ins doesn't cover that) and I want it done now, it's too inconvenient for me to come back." But of course they would be rude, disrespectful, and often yell these things and more often than not, these would be old women. Ha ha. Just stay away.

you can't avoid drive thru, eventually every store will have a drive thru.
everybody hates drive thru.

I want to apply as a tech at CVS, but I have to wait until I graduate in May. I keep hearing bad things about them, so I kinda want to go for Walgreens. Wouldn't it be akward working at a place where you don't get your prescriptions filled?

Do you think a place like that would be willing to hire a tech for the summer and then on friday afternoon/evening, saturday, and sunday morning/afternoon & breaks during the school year?

How about for pharmacy interns? Does anyone know which chainstore offers the best work environment, employee benefits, flexible work schedule, good pay, etc? Rite Aid, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS?

Thanks!

I personally think this might be quite variable from store to store even within a chain. And, interns are very different - some only want to work during the summer, some want to work minimally during school and more on school breaks (that's my situation), and some have to work more all the time because they need the money to live on. At CVS you would be eligible for some type of limited health insurance (not the same plans as the full-time people, but a plan which in my area is Aetna), and you get paid 4 hours for any holidays. I think that's pretty much it in terms of benefits unless you are working 30+ hours per week. Generally it seems like the stores are pretty flexible with scheduling, although from their perspective it's better to have an intern who wants to work a constant amt. of hours all the time. I don't do that, so I generally have to float around to other stores to get hours when I want more (i.e. Christmas break), because my home store does not budget hours for me to increase. CVS (until late last summer) paid for interns out of a different budget, so they didn't count against the store's tech budget. We can't do that anymore, which has negatively affected how the stores can use interns. I feel fortunate that I've been with the company long enough that I know people at other stores and can usually find myself some hours if I need them.

Also, a more general note for any place - it's a lot harder to catch on to computer system, how a particular pharmacy does things, etc. if you are only working 4-8 hours per week. My friends who only work a little bit have generally not had the best of experiences in retail.

I want to apply as a tech at CVS, but I have to wait until I graduate in May. I keep hearing bad things about them, so I kinda want to go for Walgreens. Wouldn't it be akward working at a place where you don't get your prescriptions filled?

Do you think a place like that would be willing to hire a tech for the summer and then on friday afternoon/evening, saturday, and sunday morning/afternoon & breaks during the school year?

For God's sake don't ever work for CVS. their management is horrible.
I work in a ghetto cvs for 1.5 yrs now, and I am determined internship--CVS?--Never!!!

I work as a Pharmacy Service Associate at CVS.

Any opinions about Eckerd (Rite-Aid)? There's one very close to where I live, and I'd like to work there.

For God's sake don't ever work for CVS. their management is horrible.
I work in a ghetto cvs for 1.5 yrs now, and I am determined internship--CVS?--Never!!!

The reason why I MAYBE would is b/c is would be awkard working a place you don't have your prescriptions filled at and haven't been to in 7 years.

I have been through the interview process and the drug test. I received an email today stating that I have to apply for my pharmacy tech license? There is a $25 fee in my state but I’ve never taken any courses and I though CVS provided all this? Help?!?!?

Who here works as a pharm tech/pharm clerk in CVS/Pharmacy?

Any advice on how you got the job, and how it is working there?
I'm a tech at CVS and have been for two years. It's an okay place to work. I applied online for multiple stores and got called for an easy interview a few days later. CVS does have a lot of required training, some of it being at a district training store, which may be a descent drive for you (some of the techs in my district had an hour and a half drive to get to ours). District management likes to micromanage, but depending on how the pharmacy manager is and how the staff pharmacist(s) are makes or breaks how working there is. Pay is okayish, nothing spectacular but not lowball either. The biggest gripe I have is how it's all about numbers and metrics, not about patient care.

I have been through the interview process and the drug test. I received an email today stating that I have to apply for my pharmacy tech license? There is a $25 fee in my state but I’ve never taken any courses and I though CVS provided all this? Help?!?!?
Those classes are done after the "onboarding", there will be come you have to do on the computer and then a few you will have to do at the district training store. This should all be explained to you by the pharmacy manager. You need to have the tech registration/license before you can do any of that though. CVS I don't believe pays the registration cost either ($25).