Pharmacy Tech Question (especially Illinois)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janeway

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question, do you need to go to some sort of education program in order to obtain an Illinois Pharmacy Tech license?
I looked at the application and it seems the most it asks you is if you went to High School. It says something about certification not required in Illinois. Perhaps I'm understanding this wrong.

Can I apply for the Illinois License even though I have no experience or education for pharmacy tech? Or do I need to take some sort of test or certification program?

I was looking at Pharmacy Tech positions in hospitals and basically most say that an Illinois Pharmacy tech License is required, it really doesn't say anything else. Hopefully someone can enlighten me on how to become a pharm tech in Illinois.

What are Pharmacy Techs getting paid? I know it's not much, but I want something a bit better and more flexible than retail right now while going to school. I'm going to school for a different program not related at all to Pharmacy.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ya IL tech license means you paid $40 for a background check.

Hi,
I have a question, do you need to go to some sort of education program in order to obtain an Illinois Pharmacy Tech license?
I looked at the application and it seems the most it asks you is if you went to High School. It says something about certification not required in Illinois. Perhaps I'm understanding this wrong.

Can I apply for the Illinois License even though I have no experience or education for pharmacy tech? Or do I need to take some sort of test or certification program?

I was looking at Pharmacy Tech positions in hospitals and basically most say that an Illinois Pharmacy tech License is required, it really doesn't say anything else. Hopefully someone can enlighten me on how to become a pharm tech in Illinois.

What are Pharmacy Techs getting paid? I know it's not much, but I want something a bit better and more flexible than retail right now while going to school. I'm going to school for a different program not related at all to Pharmacy.

Thank you.
I'm currently a pharm. tech at an inpatient pharmacy making $11/hr. I had no previous experience at all and all I needed to do was pay the $40 to get the license from the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it seemed like a background check to me as well.

Homeslice, have you been working there at that hospital a long time?
Anyone know if there is anything you can do to get better pay? Like take courses or certification?

Homeslice, have you been working there at that hospital a long time?
Anyone know if there is anything you can do to get better pay? Like take courses or certification?

I've been there PRN for 9 months. Being certified (which I plan on doing in August) gets you a $1/hr raise. At my hospital you also get and extra 75 cents/hr for working second shift and an extra $1/hr for working weekends. So if you work second shift weekends a lot you could be making $13.75/hr, which is pretty decent in my opinion. If you live in the Chicago area, you also could be making more.

Thank you Homeslice,
Something like that would be great for me, weekends and evenings will basically be the only time available for me to work.
Thank you and good luck in your career.

The Pharm tech requirements for IL have just changed this past year. To get a Tech license, you just need to be 16, have a clean record, and $40. However, within 2 years of getting the license you must be certified. Old techs are grandfathered in as long as the work for the same pharmacy.