pharmacy tech question, need help

Started by nemzy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nemzy

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I passed the exam on Sept and got my pharmacy technician certification last week. However, I have currently no pharmacy experience as of right now. I thought that all you needed was the pharm tech certification to apply as a pharm tech in CA. However, when i visited my local rite aid and applied, they gave me a call back and asked me to see my certification. They told me that I needed a pharm tech license, and i couldnt work as a pharm tech if i was just certified, and that I needed to obtain a license. They said that i needed to have at least 200 hours of intern pharmacy volunteeer experience or something like that to obtain a pharm tech license, and that passing the pharm tech test was just the first part of the license process. I am very confused, because all my friends who got pharm tech certifications were able to become pharm techs......Or am i doing something wrong here?

thanks,
 
Hi, I passed the exam on Sept and got my pharmacy technician certification last week. However, I have currently no pharmacy experience as of right now. I thought that all you needed was the pharm tech certification to apply as a pharm tech in CA. However, when i visited my local rite aid and applied, they gave me a call back and asked me to see my certification. They told me that I needed a pharm tech license, and i couldnt work as a pharm tech if i was just certified, and that I needed to obtain a license. They said that i needed to have at least 200 hours of intern pharmacy volunteeer experience or something like that to obtain a pharm tech license, and that passing the pharm tech test was just the first part of the license process. I am very confused, because all my friends who got pharm tech certifications were able to become pharm techs......Or am i doing something wrong here?

thanks,

Check out pharmacy.ca.gov. Your certification allows you to file for a license, which is what is required to obtain a job. You won't need the "volunteer experience" but you will have to go through a background check.

Whether Rite Aid is willing to hire you without the experience is another question.