Pharmacy Tech Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Copacetic52

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the requirements to be a pharmacy technician are? I heard that you don't need to be certified but are you required to have any knowledge about pharmacy such as volunteering experience? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends what state you live in. Since I see that you live in California I would suggest that you do a search "health professions bureau" or "professional regulations" and you might find information regarding how to go about becoming a tech in California.

Copacetic52 said:
Does anybody know what the requirements to be a pharmacy technician are? I heard that you don't need to be certified but are you required to have any knowledge about pharmacy such as volunteering experience? Thanks.

1.Actually go to this link http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/ 2.Click around looking for application for registration of becoming a pharmacy tech and fill it out and send it in. Otherwise you could call the board and ask what requirements are for registration. I live in Alabama and just have to renew my license every year, but had to get registered sp? first which required a passport photo for the application, and the application itself. I mailed it in and it took about 4 weeks for me to get my registration.
Some states require you to get "certified" their version of the ptcb's cert. You work for a certain number of months in a training pharmacy then take a test at the local bop office. :)
Hope this helps,
drjones

Thanks guys, I will check it out.