Pharmacy tech to intern at CVS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SClENCE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working at CVS as a tech and have 4 interviews for pharmacy school in January

From what I understand, to gain an intern licence all you need is to be enrolled in pharmacy school/completed first year and apply with the state board.

I have a few questions:

-Do pharmacy schools require an internship? Or is there any benefit to becoming an intern other than pay/experience/potential job offer upon graduation?
-Does CVS even hire interns?
-I plan on working the rest of the summer as a tech before I begin pharmacy school. I was thinking maybe next summer I could come back to the same store and work as an intern. I'm not sure how I should go about this. Would I have to quit altogether and reapply? Should I ask the PIC? I can't really "upgrade" myself from tech to intern because I don't plan on working through school (just the summer) so I'd technically be quitting unless I can work something out to work 1 day a month

It's a little early to be considering all of this but I'm just a little lost. It'd be cool to intern at the same store. Can interns take transfers/immunize in most states?

The potential to have a job lined up as an intern is honestly the only motive for me to stay at CVS considering the pay is terrible and I already have my "pharmacy experience" and LORS for my applications.

Members don't see this ad.

When you get an intern license, tell your manager. You will magically become "an intern" with the same job you have now.

I am currently working at CVS as a tech and have 4 interviews for pharmacy school in January

From what I understand, to gain an intern licence all you need is to be enrolled in pharmacy school/completed first year and apply with the state board.

I have a few questions:

-Do pharmacy schools require an internship? Or is there any benefit to becoming an intern other than pay/experience/potential job offer upon graduation?
-Does CVS even hire interns?
-I plan on working the rest of the summer as a tech before I begin pharmacy school. I was thinking maybe next summer I could come back to the same store and work as an intern. I'm not sure how I should go about this. Would I have to quit altogether and reapply? Should I ask the PIC? I can't really "upgrade" myself from tech to intern because I don't plan on working through school (just the summer) so I'd technically be quitting unless I can work something out to work 1 day a month

It's a little early to be considering all of this but I'm just a little lost. It'd be cool to intern at the same store. Can interns take transfers/immunize in most states?

The potential to have a job lined up as an intern is honestly the only motive for me to stay at CVS considering the pay is terrible and I already have my "pharmacy experience" and LORS for my applications.

You will have to apply on line for the intern position. It is an internal transfer. If you leave the store to go to school you would have to put in for a leave of absence.

As a former CVS Intern, I would highly recommend working during school as it helps reinforce some of the material you learn in school. Depending on your relationship with your PIC, you can definitely work once a month or every other week (but be aware that you will most likely get calls every other day to pick up a shift). Also, depending on where you get into school, it may be difficult to get an intern position. So being a technician already for CVS would give you a leg up in the competition for an intern spot.