Pharmacy tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UICpremed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you having experience with being a tech, i need some help.

I don't have any experience in pharmacy, but i am taking the PTCB this July and I'll get the results/cert a month later. I am 100% sure I'll pass. Now I am in a situation that I need a job that pays $12+ hr. working atleast 25 hrs. a week. Yeah, I am in financial trouble... my circumstances have changed.

The thing is can I get into a hospital directly, as I know they pay much better. I need a job now. I've already applied to several places over a month back but never heard from them. It says pharmacy experience is preferred or required in all of them. Telling them that I am enrolled for the PTCexam won't help I think, however having a cert will most def help, the thing is its not until 60+ days later that I get my cert.

I'll take whatever tips, help, advice I can get. thanks :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...that's a hard one...I'm a tech also and it took me a few months to get a job. Even with a cert, experience does matter to those that would like to hire you. Maybe working as a pharmacy clerk can help you stick that foot in the door, and after you get your cert, you can ask if they can start training you as a tech. Hope that helps.

I've been a pharmacy technician for 8 years (7 years retail, 1 year mail order) and I do have to say that the certification will definitely help you get a job or at least have people look at your application. I had 6 years retail experience and was declined for the simple reason I wasn't nationally certified by pretty much every company except Walgreens. Walgreens will give you a shot with little to no experience. They start technicians at $12.75/hr I believe in most places. After working in their Mail Service pharmacy for 6 months I was promoted to a higher paying/more challenging position (they also paid for my certification exam fees and I got a raise after passing it).

My advice: Take the PTCB exam, pass it, and submit your application to various companies. Take any pharmacy position they offer - it's a great way to get behind the counter.

Members don't see this ad :)
it really is hard to find a job quickly without any sort of connections. i got my first job in a hospital where i volunteered for 2 summers. i got my current job at CVS just by making small talk with my pharmacist there, who gave me a referral.
If you're a student, you can also ask about "internships" and see if they have any available.

good luck!

thanks for the replies guys...

I think i can get a job at a retail pharmacy without great difficulty. It would be much easier if it was not summer, but i am not looking for retail jobs. And they don't pay 12.75 here starting out! unless maybe you're in california or something. They start out at $9.50 or so here in New Jersey.

I applied to a LTC pharmacy and a hospital pharmacy today... I made sure to mention that I am getting my tech license soon... so lets see if they call back next week.

Miss Hyena, your post was particularly helpful... thanks again. :)

misshyena said:
They start technicians at $12.75/hr I believe in most places.

Woah, do they really???? I been with Walgreen's for about a year and dont get that much :thumbdown:

Pinkpnther86, since you are accepted to pharmacy school you should make $14.50/hr, that's the going rate for at Walgreens in the Chicagoland area.

ButlerPharm.D. said:
Pinkpnther86, since you are accepted to pharmacy school you should make $14.50/hr, that's the going rate for at Walgreens in the Chicagoland area.

Are you serious….I’m making a measly $10.50 right now and they started me at $9.75! Did they scam me? I let my district manager know that I’ve been accepted and he said he’ll bump me to intern status AFTER I attend my first day of class. Man it would be awesome if I’d get intern pay through out this summer since I’m working 35+ hours each week.

I started off at just 7.60...i've gotten raises since then but minimum wage was really difficult. Maybe it's because I work for CVS, but I work about 25-30 hours a week.

pinkpnther86 said:
Are you serious….I’m making a measly $10.50 right now and they started me at $9.75! Did they scam me? I let my district manager know that I’ve been accepted and he said he’ll bump me to intern status AFTER I attend my first day of class. Man it would be awesome if I’d get intern pay through out this summer since I’m working 35+ hours each week.

That's very interesting...I'm an intern in my district and making $12.50/hr (working 40 hours a week) and I'm even in the same pharmacy class as you starting P1 at UIC in August. Although I started almost a year ago at $8 then right before I was moved up to intern I was making $9.50. Walgreen's is so shady...

Jennay41 said:
That's very interesting...I'm an intern in my district and making $12.50/hr (working 40 hours a week) and I'm even in the same pharmacy class as you starting P1 at UIC in August. Although I started almost a year ago at $8 then right before I was moved up to intern I was making $9.50. Walgreen's is so shady...

Really? They already upgraded you to intern status!....that is sooooo VERY shady because my district manager told me he'd make me an intern after I start in august....grrr! I really really could use that money! maybe I should demand back pay once I'm bumped up starting from the day I received my acceptance letter. :mad:

btw, from where in Illinois are you?

pinkpnther86 said:
Really? They already upgraded you to intern status!....that is sooooo VERY shady because my district manager told me he'd make me an intern after I start in august....grrr! I really really could use that money! maybe I should demand back pay once I'm bumped up starting from the day I received my acceptance letter. :mad:

I'm in Peoria, IL. And I should also add that there are kids that are interns here that 1) were waitlisted and not accepted yet and 2) in pre-pharmacy programs haven't applied to the professional part yet. It seems lik something's not right here...

Jennay41 said:
I'm in Peoria, IL. And I should also add that there are kids that are interns here that 1) were waitlisted and not accepted yet and 2) in pre-pharmacy programs haven't applied to the professional part yet. It seems lik something's not right here...

WOAH....pre-pharm interns!? That's crazy talk...haha. I'm in the in a chicagoland suburb so it must be a district thing....

shady none the less :cool:

Each state is different in terms of what they classify as an "Intern". In Indiana, for example, if you are at Butler and you were accepted into the 0+6 program you can apply for a Pharmacy Intern license because you are technically within the college of pharmacy. Additionally, Butler will stamp your application for licensure (Intern) and will verify your enrollment status for the State Board of Pharmacy. The catch seems to be that in Indiana they license Interns as Interns and Technicians as Technicians. Obviously Illinois does not license pharmacy students as Interns and so you simply get a Tech license. AshG323, it depends on your state, if you were in Indiana you still have to wait until you attend classes in order for your school to stamp your intern application and verify your enrollment status.

For those Illinois folks, I would say it seems to depend on your boss... I think it's obvious that they are trying to gip some of you, why pay you as an Intern when you are currently doing the same work at Tech pay.

Hospitals are not too keen on hiring people without a year or so experience, and definately not without the certification. I've heard of hospitals hiring people that have volunteered for a while, and have gotten their certification, but I'm not sure about actually putting someone with no pharmacy experience on the payroll. I'm sure this varies from state to state of course.

I was offered a position in a hospital pharmacy after volunteering there. I was 16 at the time. If you show interest and are committed it will show.

pinkpnther86 said:

I don't know how it is where you work, but CVS has what they call a 3rd year Intern status, which is what I was upgraded to when I got my acceptance letter. It's for people that are accepted to Pharmacy school but aren't eligible to apply for their licenses yet. Basically, you just get the technician training, which I already have, and they may or may not pay you more than a tech. I'm also allowed to reconstitute and get rx's out of the refrigerator when a customer comes to pick them up (which according to new CVS policies, are only things a Pharmacist or an Intern may do). The going rate for that in my district is $10/hr (SW VA). I was making 9.50/hr, CPhT with 5 yrs experience just during summer vacations.

pinkpnther86 said:

Salaries vary widely by region.

Walgreens starts techs at $7.75 here in Louisville. Kroger starts at $6.
I believe that once you are certified Wags goes up to $9.75.

I make $10.50 as a P1 intern (PHI-3 for those who know Wags lingo). It increases $1/hour each year I am in school.