Pharmacy Tech???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhhhhhhhhh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay, so I am a incoming Freshman to college this fall. I am interested in becoming a pharmacist, and I know the importance of gaining valuable experience. I have heard both sides of this story: You cannot be a pharmacy tech until you have a bachelor's degree. Or you can become a pharmacy tech if you are over 18. You just need to be certified in you store.

Can you guys tell me which side is right?

Also, can you guys recommend anything for me to prepare for pharmacy school. I am so excited about it, and want it to go smoothly. I am hoping to get into UNC....but I heard that that is a hard reach.

Also, what is the regular pay for techs? training? I have no training at all.
i dont know about the age, but you do not need to have a bachelors degree to get a license. you can either attend those schools to get licensed or study on your own and take the exam. you can find plenty of books online. the exam covers basic stuff some laws of pharmacies, conversions gram to miligram to tablets, simple math. and few drugnames but the test is doable.

Requirements vary by state. You didn't state your location, but I'm assuming North Carolina since you talked about UNC. You can get the details at the NC Board of Pharmacy website: http://www.ncbop.org/index.html

From what I've read, it seems like NC doesn't require certification or classes to start working as a tech. You just need to get a job and then apply for your tech license within 30 days of hiring.

As far as advice... just get some extracurriculars/pharmacy experience under your belt and keep your grades up. :thumbup: