Pharmacy Technician catch 22

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rougemarie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone out there would be kind enough to give me pointer. I've been trying to find a retail pharm.tech position for about 3 months now but so far nada. I live in TX and I got various answer as to whether or not I have to be a certified tech. before they can accept me to work. Some pharmacist say that I can work w/o certification for 12 months, some said 3 months, some said I have to be certified first, etc. Anyone knows where I can look up this information???? To be honest, I don't have an extra $1K lying around just to take a certification course, so I much rather work as a tech. first and learn as much as I can on the job.

Second, I'm very confused on to whom should I talk to who can make the real deal hiring decision. I know Walgreens pharmacists just direct me to the website, without anyone that I can call to follow up. Some local grocery stores are the same deal. Are they not telling me anything here? I'm sure there must be a hiring manager of somekind?

Third, I didn't realize that finding a position for pharm.tech would be this difficult! is it cyclical? or perhaps Fall semester would be much better than Summer (when everyone's looking for a job anyway)?

Any advice, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure when you're looking for a job at a pharmacy that you speak to the Pharmacy Manager. They will have the hiring responsibilities. If he/she isn't in, ask for a phone number or when he will be working again. This way, you'll get a definitive answer on whether the pharmacy is hiring or not, and you'll look good for taking the initiative to talk directly to them.

Are you starting pharmacy school? Tell them if you are. They really perk up....from "we don't have any positions open right now" to "i bet we could fit you in somewhere".

It took me a couple of weeks to find a job in a pharmacy. At first I was just getting the applications and then turning them in. Once I started talking to the pharmacy managers, I had 2 job offers in a week. I'm starting pharmacy school in the fall, so they're starting me as a tech and planning on me being an intern in the future. A good deal!

As for the certification, look up the website for the Texas State Board of Pharmacy (it's probably called that). They should have more info there. Here in Arkansas, I had to fill out an application to get a license, and pay them $$. I didn't have experience or training as a Tech.

DrSassyPants said:
Make sure when you're looking for a job at a pharmacy that you speak to the Pharmacy Manager. They will have the hiring responsibilities. If he/she isn't in, ask for a phone number or when he will be working again. This way, you'll get a definitive answer on whether the pharmacy is hiring or not, and you'll look good for taking the initiative to talk directly to them.

Are you starting pharmacy school? Tell them if you are. They really perk up....from "we don't have any positions open right now" to "i bet we could fit you in somewhere".

It took me a couple of weeks to find a job in a pharmacy. At first I was just getting the applications and then turning them in. Once I started talking to the pharmacy managers, I had 2 job offers in a week. I'm starting pharmacy school in the fall, so they're starting me as a tech and planning on me being an intern in the future. A good deal!

As for the certification, look up the website for the Texas State Board of Pharmacy (it's probably called that). They should have more info there. Here in Arkansas, I had to fill out an application to get a license, and pay them $$. I didn't have experience or training as a Tech.

Thanks a lot, DrSassy, I guess I should be more aggresive in asking for the hiring manager or maybe come during down time. I did mention that I'm a pre-pharm student and even leave my resume on top of the submitted application.

Also checked the Texas State Board of Pharmacy, and yes! I have a year to work without my certification. Many thanks for the pointer :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I see the problem that you are having. I was looking for a Pharmacy Technician(P.T.) position about two weeks before my mother's friend "hooked" me up. She works at a Duane Reade in N.Y. I have worked there for about two weeks as of this Saturday. Honestly, it was been the best working experience out of three that I had. It is an honor to be a nobody, basically because I'm just an average pre-pharmacy student starting this fall, and allowed to work with pharmacists. I have learned so much that I don't even want to go to pharmacy school, because I am capable of doing everything a licensed pharmacist does, except to check the medicine, pack it and staple the bag. It's sometimes funny to see from a point of view how the salary is no where as close, I make about 1/6 out of what the licensed pharmacists do. The best advice that I can give you is to come in the like you had some experience in that field, and how you are eager to learn more and make an improvement in the company. Maybe stop by and start conversation with a pharmacist so that they can talk to the manager about a P.T. position. In my store, if it wasn't for my mother's friend, the manager probaly would've been observing my application a lot more serious, but because the pharmacist insisted she would like to get help from me, I was looked at more closely. But don't give up , keep looking around for the big department stores where they can't fire you because they feel like it, theres always room for mistakes, and theres always room for improvement, Good Luck.

Leonchek said:
I have learned so much that I don't even want to go to pharmacy school, because I am capable of doing everything a licensed pharmacist does, except to check the medicine, pack it and staple the bag. It's sometimes funny to see from a point of view how the salary is no where as close, I make about 1/6 out of what the licensed pharmacists do.

I understand that it feels like that. However, I must disagree with you. I've been a tech for seven months and I feel that I'm not nearly as qualified to do the job of a licensed pharmacist. I have friends that have been techs for years and they say the same thing. Yes, they do know a lot about pharmacy, but there is a reason your pharmacist's salary is 6 times yours. Perhaps this is because I work with an RPh who likes to remind the techs of why she makes the big bucks, but even before I was a technician I still had a considerable degree of respect for the work they do.

Just so you know, this is probably not the best attitude to have when working in pharmacy. And I'm willing to bet that this is not the attitude that you had in your pharmacy school interview.

For the record, making sure the patient gets the CORRECT medicine is a crucial part of the relationship between patient and pharmacist.

I work as a drug clerk at Eckerd Pharmacy. There are certified pharmacy technicians there, but I'm not one of them. I was just curious if you were trying to get a job as a certified technician, or just something like I have to get some experience and/or see if you are interested in retail pharmacy?

From the Texas state board of pharmacy

All new technicians in Texas must be nationally certified. Meaning they must take and pass the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE). TSBP rules allow an individual to be designated as a technician trainee
for up to one year while preparing for and taking the PTCB exam.

______

You dont need an expensive training course to pass the certification exam, I studied from a $30 book for about a month and passed it on my first try, with no time in a pharmacy. You should be able to get hired on and be given some study aids from the pharmacy your working at, some (most?) will actually pay for your test if you pass.

Thanks for the replies!

RLK yes, I'm looking for a technician position in retail, as most of my previous experience was as a volunteer in hospital setting. DownonthePharm was right, perhaps I should be more specific and say that I'm looking for a "trainee" position first while earning my certification. Btw, I also heard that some pharmacies pay for the PTCE, is this true?

Either way, I'm borrowing the PT review book from local library now and start studying. I plan to take the test on September. Thanks & keep the suggestions coming :)

heyy,

i have an interview with walgreens for a pharm tech position coming up soon...does anybody know what type of questions they ask?? ...i've heard of some places giving quizzes based on info taking from the PTCB exam...lemme know if u have any ideas :)

Divine- I had an interview with the pharmacy manager at a Walgreens, and he just seemed to wing it. I don't think they ask you specific questions, but you should be prepared for the basics. If you have worked in retail before, be ready to have stories about how you handled a difficult customer, or how you went above the call of duty for a customer. They like that. Think of questions to ask them too; it'll make it sound like you're interested (which you should be!).

rougemarie- I forgot to add something in my first reply. Several of the pharmacies I went around to said they would be hiring in the fall and to check back. Some of them even got me to leave an application so they could get in touch with me in a few months. So even if you can't find a pharmacy job this summer, keep your head up! Of course, if you haven't checked everywhere in your area yet, keep at it. I wasn't looking very hard at first (was enjoying the break from school!), and then I tried to find things to motivate me. My dwindling bank account was definitely a factor. Good luck! :)

DrSassy, thanks for the encouragement!! Yep, the threat of starvation while preping for PTCB exam should get me motivated :)

Divine, mind sharing how you get the interview? whom did you speak with and do you already have your certification? IIRC Walgreens has their kiosk for punching in your application (which I already did in several stores..) thanks in advance :)!!!