1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pharmacy Technician Levels?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dpari, Nov 16, 2005.

1. dpari

dpari In God I Trust
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello, does anyone know whether or not there are different levels and associated payscales for Pharmacy Technicians positions?

I.E Pharm Tech I, Pharm Tech II, etc...

Thanking you in advance.

-Tavit :thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Some retail pharmacies have levels such as Pharmacy Clerk (which is no experience/entry level), then on to Pharmacy Technician (some experience, may or may not be certified), and sometimes a Lead Technician (usually an experienced full timer who is ultimately in charge of inventory, training, scheduling etc.).
    Hospitals may have a different hierarchy altogether.

4. dpari

dpari In God I Trust
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I appreciate the information.... :)

5. Carboxilic774

Carboxilic774 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    does anyone know about how much they pay for each?

6. Aznfarmerboi

Aznfarmerboi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Wages are not guarantee and varies depending on the company and location. Starting wage can be anywhere from minium wage to \ 12,13 dollars an hour. (You must justify your worth to the company.) For an idea of a pharmacy technician pay rate, go to salary.com.

Certification doesnt give you a big edge over another applicant. Most companies base their pay on experience. Furthermore, some states like New York don't recognize pharmacy technicians as a field.

7. starrfishes

starrfishes Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I definately agree. Most companies will set your pay according to your level of experience. In this case, getting certified, though it is a good thing--but w/o experience, it won't do you much good. What makes a valuable employee for keeps is an experienced worker who is efficient and knowledgeable.

8. Poland

Poland As strong as me
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    "In this case, getting certified, though it is a good thing--but w/o experience, it won't do you much good."

I fear this kind of thing. I work in a drug store and have for a while now, but I am not a technician. Right now I am studying for the certification exam and I look forward to taking it. Though, I only work as a cashier at the store, and even with a certification it will be tough finding someone to give me first-hand experiance. Where I live it seems as if the techs at various places don't enjoy their job, and they don't think much about certification and aren't required to. But when it comes down to hiring someone new it's all about the experiance points then. How about for you guys?