Pharmacy Technician Levels?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpari

In God I Trust
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know whether or not there are different levels and associated payscales for Pharmacy Technicians positions?

I.E Pharm Tech I, Pharm Tech II, etc...

Thanking you in advance.

-Tavit :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

dpari said:
Hello, does anyone know whether or not there are different levels and associated payscales for Pharmacy Technicians positions?

I.E Pharm Tech I, Pharm Tech II, etc...

Thanking you in advance.

-Tavit :thumbup:

Some retail pharmacies have levels such as Pharmacy Clerk (which is no experience/entry level), then on to Pharmacy Technician (some experience, may or may not be certified), and sometimes a Lead Technician (usually an experienced full timer who is ultimately in charge of inventory, training, scheduling etc.).
Hospitals may have a different hierarchy altogether.

I appreciate the information.... :)

ndearwater said:
Some retail pharmacies have levels such as Pharmacy Clerk (which is no experience/entry level), then on to Pharmacy Technician (some experience, may or may not be certified), and sometimes a Lead Technician (usually an experienced full timer who is ultimately in charge of inventory, training, scheduling etc.).
Hospitals may have a different hierarchy altogether.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know about how much they pay for each?

Wages are not guarantee and varies depending on the company and location. Starting wage can be anywhere from minium wage to \ 12,13 dollars an hour. (You must justify your worth to the company.) For an idea of a pharmacy technician pay rate, go to salary.com.

Certification doesnt give you a big edge over another applicant. Most companies base their pay on experience. Furthermore, some states like New York don't recognize pharmacy technicians as a field.

Aznfarmerboi said:
Wages are not guarantee and varies depending on the company and location. Starting wage can be anywhere from minium wage to around 12-13 dolalrs an hour. (You must justify your worth to the company.) For an idea of a pharm tech's pay rate around your area, go to salary.com.

Certification doesnt give you a big edge over another applicant with most companies basing their pay on experience. Furthermore, some states like New York don't recognize pharmacy technicians as a field.

I definately agree. Most companies will set your pay according to your level of experience. In this case, getting certified, though it is a good thing--but w/o experience, it won't do you much good. What makes a valuable employee for keeps is an experienced worker who is efficient and knowledgeable.

"In this case, getting certified, though it is a good thing--but w/o experience, it won't do you much good."

I fear this kind of thing. I work in a drug store and have for a while now, but I am not a technician. Right now I am studying for the certification exam and I look forward to taking it. Though, I only work as a cashier at the store, and even with a certification it will be tough finding someone to give me first-hand experiance. Where I live it seems as if the techs at various places don't enjoy their job, and they don't think much about certification and aren't required to. But when it comes down to hiring someone new it's all about the experiance points then. How about for you guys?