pharmacy technician or Pharm.D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed bachelor of pharmacy in India. Now I moved to US and my question is shall I study PHARM.D or start working as pharmacy technician? Is my job guaranted after I finish Pharm.D ? I just don't want to ended up with debt of 100k

Members don't see this ad.

I have completed bachelor of pharmacy in India. Now I moved to US and my question is shall I study PHARM.D or start working as pharmacy technician? Is my job guaranted after I finish Pharm.D ? I just don't want to ended up with debt of 100k

No, it's not guaranteed. I don't want to discourage you, but more likely than not, you would need more than 100k for Pharm.D education (if you are financing it yourself, of course). State schools are a lot cheaper than private schools, but they are not cheap. You'll need to borrow for living expenses as well because it is hard to work while you are in school. Also, don't forget the interest......lots of it, unfortunately. Best of luck to you.

thats what i m scared about. plus m married and live in joint family..... I am not able to manage time to study for pcat and there is financial prob m gonna face, as m plannin for private school so tht can get done in 3yrs.......actually i dont wanna end paying my debt while workin as technician....

Take everyone's advice here. The pharmacy profession and market are getting saturated. Jobs are NOT a guarantee. They are a thing of the past. If you still find passion in what you do and want to practice as a pharmacist here in the U.S. (not sure how it is compared to India), go for it... but be warned. It's tough out there right now. :eek: