Pharmacy Technician Pay....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurerxguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon. I am currently a teacher with a Bachelors Degree that is one class short of a Masters Degree in School Counseling. At this point in time, I am strongly considering leaving the teaching profession to further my education. I have a long-term goal of becoming a pharmacist. My intentions are to leave teaching, and become a pharmacy technician somewhere. I will do my counseling internship as well during this time so I can get my School Counseling Degree in addition to completing a pre-pharmacy classes in chemistry and biology. I would like some insight on how much a CPhT makes. I have heard it is somewhere between 11-15 dollars/hour... is this correct? Any insight that could be provided would be greatly appreciated as I begin the next step of my long-term future goal in become a pharmacist. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Shawn

Members don't see this ad.

futurerxguy said:
Good afternoon. I am currently a teacher with a Bachelors Degree that is one class short of a Masters Degree in School Counseling. At this point in time, I am strongly considering leaving the teaching profession to further my education. I have a long-term goal of becoming a pharmacist. My intentions are to leave teaching, and become a pharmacy technician somewhere. I will do my counseling internship as well during this time so I can get my School Counseling Degree in addition to completing a pre-pharmacy classes in chemistry and biology. I would like some insight on how much a CPhT makes. I have heard it is somewhere between 11-15 dollars/hour... is this correct?
It depends on what market and what state you are in. I have a bachelors and masters - pharmacy will be a second career for me, and when I started as a tech I got $9.50, and I was specifically told that it would have been lower for someone with no experience, except that they considered that I had the degrees. I got my CPhT after the first year, and now I am at the top end of your quoted figures, but I have > 5 years experience now. So, my general guess is that you would have a hard time finding a position to start at $11 with no pharmacy experience.

I recently accepted an offer from Target to be a Pharmacy Technician for $10.65/hour. I am not certified, but my soon-to-be boss is very encouraging of getting me certified as soon as possible. Once I become certified he said that my pay will increase to around $12/hour. After I've been there for a few months I will be reviewed for potential raises. While I was searching for a job, I was offered positions at Kinney Drugs ($7.50/hour), Rite Aid ($8-$8.50/hour), and Eckerd ($8/hour). By far, Target pays the best for uncertified technicians. These rates may very well fluctuate depending on the region of the country you work in. In general, I wouldn’t expect to make any more than $8/hour if you are uncertified and have no previous pharmacy experience. My advice would be to apply to as many different companies as possible; you will walk away with a good sense of who pays the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends what state you are in. Hospital techs definitely make more, but mostly you have to work full time. I know in california most retail start you around 8-9, but it can range depending on experience and up to $15 in some places.

Thank you all for your quick responses. For me, pay is not the most important, but having an idea is very important. My goal is to make close to what I am making now with teaching.... which is around 820/month. I know that taking a small loss now is definately worth it in the future with going into pharmacy... but as we know... it is important to try to stay afloat as well. I hope to be a CPhT by the end of the summer, and I intend on working full-time while taking additional pre-pharmacy classes for the next year or so. In high school, I did take chem and apchem .... A's and B's.... if only I had considered pharmacy then instead of now lol. Of course, I do have to say, having a counseling background (even if it is school counseling) should help me in the future when applying to pharmacy school... considering pharmacists are now counseling patients more.

I do have another question I would like you all to think about if you could... I was going to take College Chem. 1 and 2 over the summer.... yeah, am nutz lol. My question, is it in my best interest to do this or do you think I may miss out on important concepts that would be discussed more during a semester long course? I know the class itself will be much harder in the summer, but at the same time, I would like to get as much done as soon as possible so maybe I could apply to medical school next year. Any thoughts here?

Thanks again for your responses!

FutureRxGuy