Pharmacy Technician Trainee Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asd.qwe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student, junior in a 4 year college.
No retail experience (International students are not allowed to work in retail).
Not licensed.
Had a summer internship at a real estate company - manager's assistant. (I know this is not helpful but at least I put something in there...)

I want to apply for pharmacy technician training program at CVS and Walgreens because I was told trainees do not need licenses.
Everyone told me to apply online but when I searched, all I see was "pharmacy technician", no "trainee".

And after I applied online through Walgreens website for "pharmacy technician", they rejected me.

What should I do? Should I walk in local Walgreens/CVS stores with my resume and ask if they have training program for non-licensed?

Do you think it is easier and possible to apply to independent pharmacies?

Hope you can answer this... I am so lost

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in Orlando. I also looking for technician trainee position at Publix and Walmarts too but I can't find anything online.

The "pharmacy tech trainee" position is only supposed to be temporary - until you are trained (at which time you would also be expected to at least become state licensed).

Is the issue that you can't work in retail in general because of your status as an international student, or that you can't hold any US/state licenses?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in Orlando. I also looking for technician trainee position at Publix and Walmarts too but I can't find anything online.

Some companies just don't hire techs as trainees, and expect either previous experience or CPhT certification from a program/self-study.

The "pharmacy tech trainee" position is only supposed to be temporary - until you are trained (at which time you would also be expected to at least become state licensed).

Is the issue that you can't work in retail in general because of your status as an international student, or that you can't hold any US/state licenses?

An international student can only work in a field that related to their major.

My roommate is a pharmacy technician and she used to work for CVS. She started with trainee and they gave her 3 months to get the license and she continued to work for them for a year then quit. She said it is different now and she can't give me any advice.

I saw online that some people got accepted to be in the training program as technician trainee and they are not licensed. When I asked them all they said was advice to me apply online, which I did. However got rejected.

I am in junior year already so I want to be in training program then study to get licensed. I think it is just faster than study to get licensed and apply.

You probably didn't get a call back because you have no relevant retail experience.