Pharmacy Technician Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxChick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I recently got a job at Walgreens as a pharmacy technician. I have no previous experience in a pharmacy. Infact no previous experience in any job. This is my first job. I have been there for about 6 days. The first day I filled all day. The next four days I was doing PPL's all day long so I never even stepped foot in the pharmacy. Yesterday was when I got to go in the pharmacy after the PPL's. There was so much information on the PPL's that my head is bursting with it and I don't even remember most of it. I need to make sense of it. So I expected some formal on the job training after PPL's. Instead they were just like "well you can just watch what everyone is doing and stuff". That was it. Except once in a while some tech would tell me what he is doing. Is that what is supposed to happen? Am I just expected to figure it all out by myself? It felt so awkward just standing around looking at what the other techs were doing. Is this how all you experienced techs felt too at first? I got to fill which kept me busy and made me feel like I was doing something useful. I got to answer like two or three phone calls but I spend a lot of time just looking around till new labels printed out to be filled or stock shelves or something. If it turns out that I am expected to figure it all out myself and learn on the job myself how long does it take to get accustomed to it. The fact that I have to learn by myself make sense though. But I hate the feeling that I don't know anything and I feel so useless just standing there. All I really know is to fill but I don't want to be limited to that. I do want to eventually learn all the other duties required of me. I am thinking that since no one is really giving me any formal training I should take the initiative and ask to try certain things when it calms down a bit in the pharmacy. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the exact same boat as you except at a wal-mart. My first two days were 16 hours doing mind craming computer modules, then yesterday and tonight, I got thrown into the pharmacy and pretty much let go. Like throwing a baby in a pool. I just walk around and ask lots of questions, no formal "training book" or anything like that. Ask tons of questions! That's what's helping me. Also most of the techs sit around listening to the avalanche game haha, I just try to find stuff to do to learn instead of slack, need to make a good impression!

Yeah, I was in that situation as well. I did had previous experience at an independent pharmacy, but it didn't help me too much on my new job since each pharmacy has their own way of doing things. I had no clue on how to use their prescription program, so it took me a long while to get used to using it.

It's normal for the first few days to be clueless. Just ask one of your co-workers if he/she can show you how to do stuff and you'll get the hang of it. Always ask questions. When in doubt, best to ask. :) You're new, so they should be understandable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got hired at a grocery store and I'm in the process of doing 27 hours... yeah that's right... 27 hours of customer service and cash register training. I spent 4 hours there today with a group of people going over store info and stuff. The store isn't open yet so that's why there was more than just me, they were people hired to many different parts of the store. I don't even know when my pharmacy training will begin. I'm supposed to get a call from the pharmacy manager early next week. Tomorrow I go in for 3 hours to do computer based cash register training. I'm really hoping that since the store is brand new (and so are the 4 techs including myself) we'll get adequate training prior to it opening. I can imagine it'll be a huge mess if they don't get us properly trained. Can you imagine it? 4 untrained people wandering around trying to figure out stuff?! :laugh::scared:

Anyway... if you feel that you aren't getting enough training I'd speak with your manager and see if there is anything else that can be done. It does seem kind of like just tossing a lamb out into a pack of wolves to just toss you out there. Not meaning that the other techs are the wolves but that you could easily crash and burn without proper training. I know that for me, when I start working (in the first week of May) I'll do better if I feel confident about what I'm doing.

Good luck and congrats on your job!

Hey RxChick, I felt the same way when doing my training at Walgreens. Don't worry about the PPL's though; there's too much to remember without actually doing anything. Just try to get through them as fast as you can so you can get hands-on training. After I finished my PPLs I started filling (easy enough). When things were pretty quiet at the pharmacy I watched other techs scan prescriptions and enter them. I asked if I could try and the techs were nice enough to walk me through each step. With enough practice you'll get the hang of it.

Thanks for the input everyone. It is really scary there. I love filling and yesterday I got to use the register for the first time. I messed up a lot though because each time someone is paying a different way and no one really showed me all the different ways too well. I am still kind of confused. If I hadn't asked someone to show me how to work the register yesterday, I wonder if anyone would have trained me. But I feel like a ***** when I am there. I guess it takes a while to feel really feel comfortable in that environment. By the way how often does do you get paid? Does it depend on each store?

Gosh it seems like they would at least do cash register training for you! How in the world are you supposed to work there if you can't even ring up stuff... you know at first I was a bit annoyed when my company said they require 27 hours worth of customer service and cash register training but now I'm quite happy with it. It shows that they value the knowledge and training of their employees. It seems to me that a well trained employee will only help things whereas a poorly trained employee will cause possible errors and issues. I'm not at all saying it's anyone's fault if they aren't properly trained, I'm just saying that companies should really take note of this. I truly hope that they get you trained more so you can feel confident in your job. I figure... a confident and satisfied employee makes for happy customers. (well we can hope at least that it helps!)

I get paid every 2 weeks. So for example, my first paycheck will come on the 25th of April. That will covers hours during the weeks of the 6th-12th and the 13th-19th. I think that's fairly average for places such as retail stores. I'd check with your manager or another employee and they'll be able to tell you for sure. I'm shocked they didn't even tell you that kind of stuff! Did they do any kind of orientation or anything? :confused:

ekk.... 27 hours of training. Is there anything you can go over at home?