FickleBabs

Excited for free pens.
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
It's me again, StartingLater girl, but I found that member name to have kind of negative conotations so I made a new one, not that that's important, just have to figure out how to delete the old one.

Anyway... anything anyone can tell me about their experience being a pharmacy tech or CPT would be great. I worked as a 'drug associate' as a teenager at Eckerds Drugs and loved it, now 7 years later I realize that being a pharmacist is my dream job. Wow, that took awhile.
Are any of you certified? Does this change your pay? Where did you get certified (I was thinking of signing up for an online course so when I move back to the States I'll have my feet wet already.)?

PumpkinSmasher

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
It's me again, StartingLater girl, but I found that member name to have kind of negative conotations so I made a new one, not that that's important, just have to figure out how to delete the old one.

Anyway... anything anyone can tell me about their experience being a pharmacy tech or CPT would be great. I worked as a 'drug associate' as a teenager at Eckerds Drugs and loved it, now 7 years later I realize that being a pharmacist is my dream job. Wow, that took awhile.
Are any of you certified? Does this change your pay? Where did you get certified (I was thinking of signing up for an online course so when I move back to the States I'll have my feet wet already.)?

My dream job is definitely not pharmacy but pharmacy is enjoyable and challenging none the less.

danado

10+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I'm certified. My employer paid me to go to a company-sponsored course beforehand and paid for my test, then gave me a raise once I passed. I know that some vocational schools offer courses on it (my cousin took one and said it was pretty helpful) but I don't know about the online courses. It's definitely easier and cheaper if you get a job in a pharmacy first, then go for your certification. Also, some employers will allow you to attend that course and take the test on their dime even if you start out working somewhere else (i.e. cashier) at that store, as long as you prove to them that you really want to go into pharmacy.

About the Ads

etspinner

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
My employer reimbursed me for the cost of the exam (I think it was around $125 or so) and gave me a dollar raise which raises the maximum rate I can be paid by $1, also. Might want to look into where you can be hired so that they will foot the bill (and offer you more $$$).

HmoobRX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
CVS will pay for your exam 1 time after 6 months of employment. Depending on where you live it may affect your pay. My boss kept bugging me to go get mine after 2 years and I told him I had no incentive to because, 1) more duties and 2) same pay. LOL. Also retail pay is horrible starting out and it seems like the more generous locations only give you an extra dollar. I've never worked in a hospital setting but I've heard that certification is worth it since pay is better. However, I'm not sure if they will pay for the exam. Check around.

jyw003

just moving along.....PharmD, BCPS, BCPP, APP
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2007
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
My dream job is definitely not pharmacy but pharmacy is enjoyable and challenging none the less.

thanks for answering the OP

To OP, you may want to look into taking the PTCE~

TTUMike

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Walgreens will pay for the exam when hired on. They will also send you to training courses if needed. But more importantly they will give you a $3 raise.

hondagirl86

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Walgreens will pay for the exam when hired on. They will also send you to training courses if needed. But more importantly they will give you a $3 raise.

Dang, $3 raise? Where do you live? They're only giving $1 extra in our district once certified here in north Florida :(

jyw003

just moving along.....PharmD, BCPS, BCPP, APP
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2007
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
In California, you must be licensed to work. I forgot, but if you search the threads, someone posted the 3 ways you can become a pharmacy tech in California.

TTUMike

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
because you make about 7-8 bucks as a tech if you're not certified :/

You are right about that, they usually start you off around $8-$9 an hour and then bump you up to $11 an hour as soon as you pass the PTCB exam. I'm not sure how this compares to other markets or businesses.

PharmD321

SDN Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
Colorado
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
In California, you must be licensed to work. I forgot, but if you search the threads, someone posted the 3 ways you can become a pharmacy tech in California.

LOL, was that me? I don't remember where I posted though, but...

I basically said:

Certification
Registration
Licensure

Of course, you need to take courses and amount of hours in order to get license.

I think this system is really good because it makes the pharmacies safer. Licensure could be a barrier for us, but there could be more jobs available if we practice this in every state.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.