Pharmacy Techs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngelaChanel76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wanting to gain some knowledge and experience in the field and I notice the community college offers a Pharmacy Technician program. it's only 10 weeks and you'll take the national certification exam upon completetion. I thought this would be great help considering I need to find part time work while Im in school. Is anyone a Tech or know about the field.

Members don't see this ad.

why don't you find a job at CVS/walgreen, they train you on site.
taking the exam cost a lot of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't recommend you taking the class because I think it's better once you start working and learn on the job and then take the test. The class is useless in my opinion because I help teach the class.

I am a pharm tech at publix. I didnt have to take any exam at all. Is it that some states require it and some dont?

I know from what I have heard from my managers is that they would prefer techs that they train on sight as opposed to techs that have done the program.

I know people who have taken the test, and there is no need to take the course, just get a study book.

Most states don't require that you are certified to be a tech, however, I look for there to be stricter requirements in the future due to the publicity of medication errors in pharmacies.

don't bother wasting your money. get a job at CVS (i can vouch for them cuz i work there, i don't know if other pharmacies do this) and if you really want to get certified CVS will pay for the test. only take the test beforehand if you live in a state where it's required for the job.

I don't recommend you taking the class because I think it's better once you start working and learn on the job and then take the test. The class is useless in my opinion because I help teach the class.

You shouldn't put yourself down.

I was looking at taking their online program at our local CC but decided against it after hearing from other people here. Really the classes they have you take (at mine) are ones that are prereq's anyway like biology and stuff. So there is not point in doubling up or anything. I decided to just get a book and study and plan on taking the exam in April. I don't know if my state requires it or not but I figure it'd be easier to get a job if I'm certified.

These are the books I'm looking at, they were recommended from people here.

http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacy-Tech...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203654547&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacy-Tech...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203654547&sr=8-1

They go together, one is the book and the other is a workbook.

I would study independently with a book and try the exam before I would pay the tuition for a CC class or, even worse, pay for one of those $1,500 courses offered at technical schools. In Texas they have something called a pharmacist trainee now, and I was hired on as that and had 6 months to get certified and registered. Working in a pharmacy and studying a little out of a book was all I needed to pass. See if you can't get hired on in hopes of later getting certified/registered.

you know i took that pharm tech class once (about two years ago) and it didn't really do me any good.

i didn't start working at a pharmacy until last year and there's definitely a lot of stuff that i learned there which i didn't learn at the class. they trained me at the pharmacy and they're even paying for my certification review class and the examination itself.

i say just apply at a pharmacy instead of paying $500 for something that you doesn't really help a lot.