1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Whether you’re preparing for the USMLE, COMLEX, NBDE or APMLE, Test Prep Week Exhibitors can help you ace your boards!

Pharmacy Times Case Studies Question

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by BidingMyTime, Sep 10, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    So the latest Pharmacy Times has a case study concerning a woman who refuses vaccines due to religious beliefs, but wants a recommendation for prophylaxis treatment for meningitis. Interestingly, she is also on a BCP. The answer gives 3 choices, one of which is ceftriaxone, which Pharmacy Times says the woman can't take because her religion forbids all injections. Seriously? What religion forbids "all injections?" (I'm not a theologist, so maybe I'm ignorant, but I have never heard of any religion that forbids "all injections.")

We all know there are religions that forbid vaccines, and I'll assume the woman is taking BCP for health reasons and not because she is engaging in hypocritical premarital intercourse which I'm pretty sure is forbidden by all religions that forbid vaccines, but where is this idea that she can't take an antibiotic injection because her religion forbids all injections coming from? I call BS. The real reason that Pharmacy Times should have given against ceftriaxone is that since there are non-injectable options, why in the world would you want to recommend a more expensive and intrusive option?

I am in an annoyed mood today, and I found this stupid case study answer very annoying. I need coffee, I guess. I think the authors were lazy, so they completely made up this unnamed religion that forbids "all injections", because they couldn't be bothered to use common sense to rule out the ceftriaxone in the answer.

Dalteparin likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BidingMyTime

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    And now I'm more annoyed because I just attempted to do that stupid crossword in the same issue. Bite? Seriously? I see what they are getting at, but the clue totally sucks.

4. quickpic007

quickpic007

Sep 22, 2016
    just use the retail answer. "I recommend speaking to your physician"

5. steveysmith54

steveysmith54 Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I tell this pt to weigh her pros and cons... you wanna get meningitis or you wanna listen to some silly religion. And I am out...

BidingMyTime likes this.
  6. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Well, the meningitis will get you to heaven faster, so that's a pro.

7. lord999

lord999 Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    Pharmacist
    Faculty
    No, coffee isn't necessary, you had the right answer intuitively.

Proper answer: E: I don't give a ______(fill in the blank).

Helpful answer: F. Kick this to a prescriber.

Troll answer: G. Lookup in Sanford's for Ciprofloxacin, smile, get the script for Cipro 500mg, dispense, and hand the required PPI for the birth control and Cipro while saying nonspecifically that you ought to read the PPIs to the patient due to known interactions, and notate on the script that counseling was provided on the pregnancy risk and that medical advice was not followed for religious reasons (which is legally true but not sincerely so). Exchange a small problem by making it into a potential birth control disaster for wasting your time.

Amicable Angora and BidingMyTime like this.
  8. lord999

lord999 Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    Pharmacist
    Faculty
    I also share your hatred for contrived "trivia" questions in CE where they obviously wouldn't be things that you'd need to know first-line and can look up later. There's easier ways of spicing up a case (just add diabetes, for instance).

BidingMyTime likes this.
  9. Dalteparin

Dalteparin 7+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2009
    A religion that forbids all injections? GMAFB. They could have just said she's refusing injections due to an extreme needle phobia - that would have actually been believable!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

CetiAlphaFive and BidingMyTime like this.
  10. Carboxide

Carboxide 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It's not like ctx is the drug of choice anyways. Cipro, baby, cipro. And I don't care what laypeople say, it doesn't interfere with OCPs. That's rifaximin. Moms everywhere can just stop spreading that rumor thank you very much.

Regardless, a x1 500mg cipro isn't going to cause any harm no matter what other drugs you're on. You don't need more than one dose, and she would only need it if the patient coughed/sneezed directly in her face or if she intubated the patient.

11. BidingMyTime

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    Well, she is scared of having caught it from her cough, cough "roommate". Since she's on BCP, we can assume she is having many "close" contacts with her "roommate."