Pharmacy to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sterlinggg

Reaction score
Hi! I have a couple questions that I hope some people can answer… I am a current pharmacy school but am thinking about making the switch to MD or DO. Has anyone done this before? Would Med schools look at my pharmacy GPA or my undergrad GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would Med schools look at my pharmacy GPA or my undergrad GPA?
For MD schools, your undergraduate gpa will be used to assess your academic accomplishments.
Grades from professional schools are impossible to interpret, though there is the expectation that they should all be "A"s.

DO schools may see things differently.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have a couple questions that I hope some people can answer… I am a current pharmacy school but am thinking about making the switch to MD or DO. Has anyone done this before? Would Med schools look at my pharmacy GPA or my undergrad GPA?
DO schools count your Pharm school in cGPA.

It has been done before. STRONGLY suggest that you finish pharm school, lest med school Afcoms worry that you'll bail on Medicine like you did on pharm.

Also, you'll need compelling evidence and reasons that you're running TO Medicine, and not merely running AWAY from the awful job environment of Phamacy.

Reactions: 3 users
DO schools count your Pharm school in cGPA.

It has been done before. STRONGLY suggest that you finish pharm school, lest med school Afcoms worry that you'll bail on Medicine like you did on pharm.

Also, you'll need compelling evidence and reasons that you're running TO Medicine, and not merely running AWAY from the awful job environment of Phamacy.
The ability to have steady employment while making a good living is a legitimate reason to run TO medicine. The issue is that you have a bunch of people in academia who think that medicine should be a "calling" (whatever that means).

Reactions: 1 users