Pharmacy to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recently got accepted into a pharmacy program but throughout the course of my application and working in the healthcare field I have been thinking of MD/DO programs. My GPA was at 3.0 for my undergrad coursework so it wouldn't have been possible to do a physician program from where I was but I am now considering applying within the next few years. The reason for the change (in a nutshell) is that I feel like I want to be more involved with patients and have become very interested in the field. Now I have some questions for the members on this forum. If I got excellent grades in my pharmd program would that rule heavily in my favor to outweigh my low undergrad GPA? Would it be advisable to finish my pharmd then apply or apply within two years into my program? Obviously I would like to finish school with as little debt as possible and this way would save me two years of pharm tuition. Would asking for LOR from my pharm professors drown the road make me look bad? Because I feel like it would show them I am not committed to pharmacy and they may not support my change of heart. Would my pharm experience in the hospital I work at help strengthen my app?

I know I have a lot of questions but advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

OP, do not go into a field that you do not want to be in. If I was in your situation I would not attend pharmacy school at all and simply work on my DO/MD path. MD path will be a hard but one considering your GPA is > 3.0 you can be a good DO candidate assuming you do well on the MCAT. Maybe you should take the MCAT and then decide what you want to do? I can tell you this much though if you go into Pharmacy and then try to go into medicine you will pile up loans and the process will be harder. Medical school ADCOM will question your devotion and commitment IF you go into Pharmacy and want to pursue medicine after that.