Pharmacy to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousCollegeStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a pharmacy student. I would like to know it is possible if to get my PharmD after going to school for six years and then go to med school and become a doctor, possibly a neurologist. After going to pharmacy school, I plan on possibly going into hospital pharmacy. I wouldn't go to med school right away. I am interested in pharmacy because I am fascinated with how drugs interact with the body and cure various diseases. However, I am also interested in medicine because I like biology the human body. I have heard that it is not possible to work in med school. My parents pushed me towards pharmacy because they liked how I was guaranteed a spot unlike med school and they even said that though both schools are expensive, I could use the money I make as a pharmacist to get me through med school. Would I be able to work as a pharmacist for a while, quit and go to med school, and work part time as a pharmacist during med school? I don't know any other way I would be able to pay for med school and my bills at them same if I don't have a steady source of income. I do know that I would have to go to school for at least 10 years. Would I need to worry about med school prerequisites as I am in pharmacy school or would they be waived when I apply to med school provided that I haven't been out of school for a long time?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey bud, how far along are you with your pharmacy program? Have you factored the amount of debt you will incur after graduation? I'd recommend putting in some time as a pharmacist if you plan on finishing the program and pay off those loans while racking in experience. It CAN be done though. Our most knowledgeable Intensivist (my personal opinion) happened to work as a pharmacist for 5 years before transitioning into medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a PharmD and have also been out of school for a while doing my thing. If complete the pre-requisites, they're not "waived"- they are completed. If you want to go to med school, do it now. Don't accrue more debt. I see you are pre-pharm...switch out. You are an adult, your parents can't make you pick your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you just know you will go to medical school....make the call now

it's very possible to do it later, just financially less wise

you will likely find you don't have enough time to work enough shifts as a pharm during med school to be worth the hassle....so I wouldn't count on that.

Also a pharmacist trying to switch to MD chiming in. Make the switch now. You're wasting time and money by getting a degree that ultimately you have already decided that you won't be using. It just doesn't make any sense to me that you want to wait.

Hey bud, how far along are you with your pharmacy program? Have you factored the amount of debt you will incur after graduation? I'd recommend putting in some time as a pharmacist if you plan on finishing the program and pay off those loans while racking in experience. It CAN be done though. Our most knowledgeable Intensivist (my personal opinion) happened to work as a pharmacist for 5 years before transitioning into medical school.

I am going into my second year of pre pharmacy. I'm in a six year program. About the Intensivist, I doubt they were able to work during med school so how were they able to pay their bills along with their school fees?

I have a PharmD and have also been out of school for a while doing my thing. If complete the pre-requisites, they're not "waived"- they are completed. If you want to go to med school, do it now. Don't accrue more debt. I see you are pre-pharm...switch out. You are an adult, your parents can't make you pick your career.
I'm not really doing pharm because of my parents but they did present me with good pros for being pharm major. I understand there would be a lot of debt involved, but I am interested in both careers, so would it be feasible, like NoTownPreMed said, to rack up some money working as a pharm for some time, pay off my pharm school loans, and then go to med school? The only problem here is how I would pay my bills while studying in med school w/ no job.

if you just know you will go to medical school....make the call now

it's very possible to do it later, just financially less wise

you will likely find you don't have enough time to work enough shifts as a pharm during med school to be worth the hassle....so I wouldn't count on that.

Yes exactly. I will have to pay rent on top of my medical school fee, so I'm not sure how I would support myself if I was living on my own.

Also a pharmacist trying to switch to MD chiming in. Make the switch now. You're wasting time and money by getting a degree that ultimately you have already decided that you won't be using. It just doesn't make any sense to me that you want to wait.

I want to wait because I want a chance to do both careers. I know others have done similar things, such as with nursing and medicine. Is it realistic to try to get both degrees? I figured that ultimately, if things didn't work out, I'd rather get a PharmD because I would like to study drugs more in depth.

do you know how fafsa works? they give you loans for living expenses

I want to wait because I want a chance to do both careers. I know others have done similar things, such as with nursing and medicine. Is it realistic to try to get both degrees? I figured that ultimately, if things didn't work out, I'd rather get a PharmD because I would like to study drugs more in depth.

As someone who has been there, I can assure you that it is not worth it. I can only lead you to the pond; it's up to you whether you want to take a sip or not. You are wasting both very valuable TIME and MONEY by postponing what you have ultimately already decided to do. I feel like you are just doing pharmacy as a fall-back or insurance in case the other option doesn't pan out. Nothing in life is free; if you take the safe way then be prepared to pay for it with time that you will never get back and heavy debt burden.

do you know how fafsa works? they give you loans for living expenses
Don't they give you less when you're in graduate and med school though?

As someone who has been there, I can assure you that it is not worth it. I can only lead you to the pond; it's up to you whether you want to take a sip or not. You are wasting both very valuable TIME and MONEY by postponing what you have ultimately already decided to do. I feel like you are just doing pharmacy as a fall-back or insurance in case the other option doesn't pan out. Nothing in life is free; if you take the safe way then be prepared to pay for it with time that you will never get back and heavy debt burden.
I'm definitely not doing it as a backup option. I do get your point and having to work as a pharmacist and then go back to school will be difficult. I just know I'm a smart person and want to do everything I'm capable of, which includes working in pharmacy or medicine, but if I can do only one, then so be it.

I am going into my second year of pre pharmacy. I'm in a six year program. About the Intensivist, I doubt they were able to work during med school so how were they able to pay their bills along with their school fees?

I'm not really doing pharm because of my parents but they did present me with good pros for being pharm major. I understand there would be a lot of debt involved, but I am interested in both careers, so would it be feasible, like NoTownPreMed said, to rack up some money working as a pharm for some time, pay off my pharm school loans, and then go to med school? The only problem here is how I would pay my bills while studying in med school w/ no job.

Yes exactly. I will have to pay rent on top of my medical school fee, so I'm not sure how I would support myself if I was living on my own.

if you want to do both check this out . http://news.rutgers.edu/news-releas...torate-pharmacymedicine/20130904#.VXeabUaGNhY

Members don't see this ad :)
You can work during med school. My best friend had 4 kids to support and did on call and holiday coverage, then her summers between year 1 and year 2 and between 3 and 4, she did full time (nurse). Her spouse worked as a part time pastor and they had free daycare at their church which helped a ton too. If its important to you to of course do well in school but also be mindful of not creating excessive debt, you'll do what you can/need to do! I've worked enough to pay cash for tuition but still have to take out some loans for cost of living as I will be living 3 hours away from my family 4 nights/week to do this.

Thats nice and all but I dont go to Rutgers so I wont have that convenience. The students there will already be groomed for both medical and pharmacy school,

You can work during med school. My best friend had 4 kids to support and did on call and holiday coverage, then her summers between year 1 and year 2 and between 3 and 4, she did full time (nurse). Her spouse worked as a part time pastor and they had free daycare at their church which helped a ton too. If its important to you to of course do well in school but also be mindful of not creating excessive debt, you'll do what you can/need to do! I've worked enough to pay cash for tuition but still have to take out some loans for cost of living as I will be living 3 hours away from my family 4 nights/week to do this.
Wait did she work as a nurse on call and for holiday coverage? Wow she must have been really smart then. Everyone else has been telling me you won't have time because of the volume of the work. I'm also considering living in an apartment in the city so that might be kinda pricey

I am currently a pharmacy student. I would like to know it is possible if to get my PharmD after going to school for six years and then go to med school and become a doctor, possibly a neurologist. After going to pharmacy school, I plan on possibly going into hospital pharmacy. I wouldn't go to med school right away. I am interested in pharmacy because I am fascinated with how drugs interact with the body and cure various diseases. However, I am also interested in medicine because I like biology the human body. I have heard that it is not possible to work in med school. My parents pushed me towards pharmacy because they liked how I was guaranteed a spot unlike med school and they even said that though both schools are expensive, I could use the money I make as a pharmacist to get me through med school. Would I be able to work as a pharmacist for a while, quit and go to med school, and work part time as a pharmacist during med school? I don't know any other way I would be able to pay for med school and my bills at them same if I don't have a steady source of income. I do know that I would have to go to school for at least 10 years. Would I need to worry about med school prerequisites as I am in pharmacy school or would they be waived when I apply to med school provided that I haven't been out of school for a long time?
ppl consider me as a troll, so take what i say with a grain of salt.

i would think long and hard before piling on 4 years of medical school, 3-8 years for residency, and an additional 1-3 years of fellowship. If it were me? I would stay a pharmacist, work my 9-5 and ENJOY life. there's more to living than becoming a physician.

some food for thought:
if you do decide to go to medical school:
location: you will most likely move for med school. Again for residency. Possibly for residency. And then fight tooth and nail to end up in a major metropolitan city.
debt: you're going to tack on 200k of tution + living expenses.
quality of life: you're going to be miserable.
theres more i could say, but i think you get the idea. Given your situation it's not worth it.

NOW, i'm not saying it cannot be done. I have met faculty and current students that have a PharmD.

tldr: if it were me? I would take the 6 figure job and be happy.

As a pharmacist now in medical school, I'd definitely echo the posters above and ignore pharmacy school all together. Keep your grades up and do well on the MCAT. If I had to do it again, I would NOT have gone to pharmacy school.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck.

Pharmacist of 6 years here applying medical. Gotta say I agree with that. Puting some time in pharmacy practice will make you a better physician. Not to mention knocking off student loans and save some.

Don't they give you less when you're in graduate and med school though?

I'm definitely not doing it as a backup option. I do get your point and having to work as a pharmacist and then go back to school will be difficult. I just know I'm a smart person and want to do everything I'm capable of, which includes working in pharmacy or medicine, but if I can do only one, then so be it.

Try to do both. I think even if I get in med school I'd still work at least every other weekend as a pharmacist. That'll definitely make you a better physician too. Not to mention a lot of the stuff is already covered in pharmacy school anyway.

As a pharmacist now in medical school, I'd definitely echo the posters above and ignore pharmacy school all together. Keep your grades up and do well on the MCAT. If I had to do it again, I would NOT have gone to pharmacy school.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck.

Just curious, did you even practice pharmacy, Mr. Pharmacist? Too bad for you, you don't know what you have missed. - Pharm.D., R.Ph. of 6 years shooting for med school.

No, I didn't. Honestly, I disliked everything about it. I don't get it, are you a little butt hurt about something?

I'm not trying to start a big bad internet war...I was just stating my opinion.

At my hospital, there's this pharmacist who specializes in critical care. He rounds with the doctors and is a key part of the patients' care. Maybe you could do something like that?

But here's my two cents: I'd say skip pharmacy school if you really want to do medical school. First off, how long does it take to get a Pharm. D? Four years? And how much will it cost, $100k? I guess you could work for maybe five years and pay off your loans and save enough for med school, if you were really frugal, but why not just go right to med school, take out loans, and pay them off once you're an attending? It just makes more sense to do what you really want to do right now. You can get enough in living expenses to live comfortably. Also, I really don't think you'll be able to work very much as a medical student.

I was a clinical pharmacist who rounded with doctors daily- certified in neuro. I loved being an integral part of the team. It taught me throughout the years things I could never have learned in a book. I'm applying to med school now bc there is so much I want to learn and I feel like I have a lot to offer to a team. I don't regret pharmacy, I'm just taking a different route now, but I'm proud of my degree and what I've done with it.

To "round" you need to do at least a 2 yr residency- complete with interview and matching for about 100-125 spots, even less for pgy2. You have to be on point and know your s**t. That's why that clinical pharmacist who rounds in critical care is so respected- he didn't waltz in. He earned their respect. Kudos to him.