Pharmacy volunteer help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

paperiswhite

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
so I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask or if it’s even allowed, but I’m in Southern California and I really need to find a pharmacy to volunteer at. I have shadowed 2 pharmacists, but they would not allow me to ask for a LOR. Now I am really desperate, and I am having a hard time finding a place to volunteer, so here I am asking for your help. I would be great if anyone knew a good place for me to ask about volunteering, preferable hospitals. I am in the northern OC area but driving out is not a problem. Please and thank you!
 
Hi,
so I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask or if it’s even allowed, but I’m in Southern California and I really need to find a pharmacy to volunteer at. I have shadowed 2 pharmacists, but they would not allow me to ask for a LOR. Now I am really desperate, and I am having a hard time finding a place to volunteer, so here I am asking for your help. I would be great if anyone knew a good place for me to ask about volunteering, preferable hospitals. I am in the northern OC area but driving out is not a problem. Please and thank you!

vet pharmacy. there's no HIPAA concerns which is the biggest plus. Look up mail-order vet pharmcacies in the area, vet hospital, or even a vet school. It worked like a charm for me! Also call up all the local hospitals and learn to tolerate being on hold for 20 mins.
 
Hi,
so I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask or if it’s even allowed, but I’m in Southern California and I really need to find a pharmacy to volunteer at. I have shadowed 2 pharmacists, but they would not allow me to ask for a LOR. Now I am really desperate, and I am having a hard time finding a place to volunteer, so here I am asking for your help. I would be great if anyone knew a good place for me to ask about volunteering, preferable hospitals. I am in the northern OC area but driving out is not a problem. Please and thank you!

Call or e-mail every single hospital in your area. You may need to start in a gift shop or other non-pharmacy related area for a few mos. while they vet you out, but once you've proven you're more than someone who just wants quick access to pharmaceuticals. I know when I was lead volunteer coordinator at a large hospital, we rarely, if ever, took anyone directly into a pharmacy volunteer position.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
so I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask or if it’s even allowed, but I’m in Southern California and I really need to find a pharmacy to volunteer at. I have shadowed 2 pharmacists, but they would not allow me to ask for a LOR. Now I am really desperate, and I am having a hard time finding a place to volunteer, so here I am asking for your help. I would be great if anyone knew a good place for me to ask about volunteering, preferable hospitals. I am in the northern OC area but driving out is not a problem. Please and thank you!

Contact the American Red Cross on Camp Pendleton. I had a great experience volunteering there. It is a long process to get started, though, so I don't know if there's be enough time to get a LOR for this cycle.
 
Usually the pre-pharmacy society at your school can help you out. Or look up faculty at your school who do clinical pharmacy (see their bios). E-mail a handful of them explaining that you're interested in their specific field (hospital). Ask if you can volunteer and/or for any advice as to how you could go about looking for a volunteering position. They might be able to refer you to someone else. If you e-mail a handful, hopefully you'll get a response from at least one!

Or you can take the pharmacy tech exam (I heard it's really easy) and apply for tech jobs.
 
I would recommend getting your pharmacy technician license. I couldn't find a volunteer position in SoCal until I got my pharmacy technician license(LICENSE not just certificate). The test was super easy(I studied less than a day for it). If you decide to get your license, make sure you apply for the pharm tech license right after you get your certificate because it takes a couple months for the paperwork to go through.

As for finding volunteer opportunities, I seriously just googled "Pharmacy volunteer Los Angeles" or if you know a pharmacist (or your parents do...etc) you can try asking them.