pharmacy volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

oladejow7

does anyone know of how i can secure a pharmacy related volunteer position is boston or around it? i do not have any qualifications and am not yet a pharmacy students but am willing to do a volunteer service this summer 07

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about Boston in particular, but I would think that most hospitals have a volunteer co-ordinator that you can contact who can set you up with a position as a volunteer in their hospital pharmacy. That's how I got my pharmacy volunteer experience, and I lived in a quite small midwestern town with only one hospital; so I'd imagine, with Boston being a much larger city, you shouldn't have a problem finding a position like that. As for something in retail or clinical, I wouldn't know about that. I would imagine any store would love to have someone working for free, but I wouldn't know the specifics of how that would work. Hope that helps!

to those that have been a volunteer in a hospital pharmacy, what did the work entail? At the hospitals I've tried, they won't let me work in the pharmacy due to "patient confidentiality". Do you think the hospital is just overly secure or maybe it's a Florida thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's just for Florida. You can volunteer in the hospital, but not in the pharmacy.

Oladejow7: If you are unable to get a volunteer position, just find a retail pharmacy near you, talk to a pharmacist. Tell them that you are applying for pharmacy school and you are unable to get a pharmacy job because you don't have any experience and you are interested in the profession and want to make sure that it is right for you. Then ask them to let you shadow them. It also counts as some pharmacy experience and it might help get you the job later on. You just have to start somewhere.

lolz....I got one, done about 109 hours and hoping that it would boost my chance for entry this fall 08...what do you think?