Pharmacy vs. Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ang136

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to choose between volunteer pharmacy experience and hospital experience, which is the better choice?

Of course the ideal would be a hospital pharmacy, but if that's not possible, which do most schools regard higher?

I'm faced with the dilemma of possibly having to choose between one and I'd appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I've only worked in a hospital, but I do work with technicians that have worked in retail (wall-greens/wal-mart) and they've all said you are way busier working in retail.

personally I think if I ever did retail, i'd still like hospital better. Becuas you get to mix IV's as well and there appears to be less strain put on the pharmacist overall.

Of all the pharmacists/techs I've worked with, I don't think ANYONE prefers retail.

Did you get to do all that as a volunteer?

In California it's pretty hard with all the legal issues and liability. One manager of a retail phamacy told me I should go in as a clerk, but I'm not sure what the qualifications are.

Thanks for the advice.