Pharmacy vs. Linguistics/Computer Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am a second year who is on the pre-pharmacy track, and I was advised by my counselor to possibly explore linguistics & computer science as a major. Initially I thought Chemistry would be good, but she told me that considering I'm already taking Chem classes that it wouldn't be a good idea. I told her Computer Science might be interesting, but math isn't my strong suit so that's how we decided on Ling/CS. Honestly, I worry because what if Ling/CS doesn't prove to be beneficial to my major and how it would affect my pay when I do enter the Pharm field for work? Also, I wonder how this would affect my study abroad chances as well. Thanks to anyone who responds.
 
I would avoid going to pharmacy school. Seriously reconsider being pre-pharm.

CS would be a no brainer. It leads to a career that pays better than pharmacy, offers far better job prospects and work conditions, and does not require you take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school unlike pharmacy.
 
Definitely do CS. In retrospect I wish I had done that. For perspective I’ve been a pharmacist almost 5 years and am now going down the CS pathway.