Pharmacy Vs Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellyfish889

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into pharmacy school and have interview for optometry school. I have a list of pros and cons of both professions but I wanted some advice on why pharmacy and whether optometry would be a better choice.

Members don't see this ad.

In the next apocalypse those with suboptimal uncorrected vision will be selected out.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear the only good job with reasonable demand anymore is an Amazon delivery driver.

When/if pharmacy finally beats me to a pulp and I can’t do it anymore - I will cash out all of my investments and finish off this song and dance as an Amazon delivery driver.

Reactions: 1 user
I hear the only good job with reasonable demand anymore is an Amazon delivery driver.

When/if pharmacy finally beats me to a pulp and I can’t do it anymore - I will cash out all of my investments and finish off this song and dance as an Amazon delivery driver.
Why would you wanna sell assets that go up in value over time?

Do you think you will do better in cash?

Why would you wanna sell assets that go up in value over time?

Do you think you will do better in cash?

That’s a good point. You have changed my future.

New life plan: I will only cash out what I need for my monthly expenses and I will be an Amazon delivery driver.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

You aren’t afraid of drones taking your job?

You aren’t afraid of drones taking your job?

Well.... at that point I would apply to be the guy who controls the Amazon drones. Between the two jobs that would be a lifetime of work.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I got into pharmacy school and have interview for optometry school. I have a list of pros and cons of both professions but I wanted some advice on why pharmacy and whether optometry would be a better choice.
You probably picked the two healthcare jobs with the worst prospect. I would suggest casting a wider net.

Reactions: 5 users
do you like eyes? -optometry
do you like chemistry and drugs? -pharm
do you like everything? -medicine
do you like teeth? -dentistry

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
See I've already been like 5 steps ahead of you....controlling the pharmacy drones/robots and all

Droning is a sport which I actually really enjoy. My buddy has a high tech drone with a range of 2 miles.

We went camping and flew the drone all over in the mountains. It was super fun and we found all sorts of wildlife. It even had a little claw which we dropped bread in front of a giant crane (herring - whateverthehell kind of bird) and it startled and flew away.

I love droning.... If you really want to have fun find a camp sight of a bunch of deep woods Folk and fly the drone over their camp. Inevitably they will pull out a firearm and start shooting - makes for great video. Best advice is, if they pull out a shotgun get the heck out of there as quick as possible.

Thought optometry was a good career? Has something changed?

Thought optometry was a good career? Has something changed?
Eh not really.

Although i would think theyre not overrun by corporate greed so probably have better longevity than we do.

Although i would think theyre not overrun by corporate greed so probably have better longevity than we do.
Isn't Luxottica basically the CVS/Caremark of the optical world? I think corporate consolidation is coming for pretty much everyone.

Isn't Luxottica basically the CVS/Caremark of the optical world? I think corporate consolidation is coming for pretty much everyone.
Well im sure they dont have to deal with PBMs and negative reimbursements for their services.

• Dislike
Well im sure they dont have to deal with PBMs and negative reimbursements for their services.
No idea how bad insurance issues are over there but declining reimbursement is not an issue that is unique to pharmacy

No idea how bad insurance issues are over there but declining reimbursement is not an issue that is unique to pharmacy
I wasnt aware of this? Which field is also having negative reimbursements? Lol there is no way another profession is stupid enough to let this happen lol no one else is going to buy a product for $10 and sell it for $5 lol

I wasnt aware of this? Which field is also having negative reimbursements? Lol there is no way another profession is stupid enough to let this happen lol no one else is going to buy a product for $10 and sell it for $5 lol
I'm not sure about negative reimbursements, I haven't weighed in on the actual optometry vs pharmacy debate because I don't know enough about optometry to directly compare the two. But here's an article that discusses optometrists facing many issues that pharmacists do: fewer options for private practice, higher student debt, lower insurance reimbursement.

I'm not sure about negative reimbursements, I haven't weighed in on the actual optometry vs pharmacy debate because I don't know enough about optometry to directly compare the two. But here's an article that discusses optometrists facing many issues that pharmacists do: fewer options for private practice, higher student debt, lower insurance reimbursement.

Interesting. So the people doing the actual work dont get paid, just the ones who running the show. Yup. Sounds about right.

In Walmart vision center, they literally used to beg optometrist to recruit them not too long ago.

My SO works in IT industry and says it’s not easy to find a job as a software developer these days unless you are prepared to move anywhere.

So if healthcare is saturated, technology fields are saturated, law is saturated, where the f are all jobs?

My SO works in IT industry and says it’s not easy to find a job as a software developer these days unless you are prepared to move anywhere.

So if healthcare is saturated, technology fields are saturated, law is saturated, where the f are all jobs?
It depends but most cities have lots of software jobs open. You might have to retrain but it can be done.

PA is a great profession as well.

Most dental plans are more like discount cards than actual insurance plans, glasses are not covered on Medicare (although the exam is), and as for Medicaid? Granted, this is from 10 years ago, but I used to work with a woman whose sister was an optometrist in Illinois, and she did take Medicaid because the owner insisted they do, but guess what Illinois Public Aid paid for a routine optometric exam?

NINE DOLLARS

For contrast, Medicare paid $55, and that barely covered their expenses.

ETA: Vision plans, not dental plans (although that's often the case with dental "insurance" as well.)

Last edited:
do you like eyes? -optometry
do you like chemistry and drugs? -pharm
do you like everything? -medicine
do you like teeth? -dentistry

Do you like having a job? Not optometry or pharmacy.

Reactions: 7 users