Pharmacy vs Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalGirl83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is mainly for those of you already in pharmacy school. A couple weeks ago I had a conversation with a pharmacist who was floating at my store. She graduated from pharmacy school 2 years ago and told me that she found it to be easier than her undergrad (which is the same undergrad that I am at :) ). Would anyone else say that this is true??

Members don't see this ad.

nope not at all

sorry
:(
maybe it depends on where you do undergrad and pharm school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that at my school, pharmacy students get to take the easier versions of organic chemistry and biochemistry than chem/biochem/microbi/cell biology majors, which I was really surprised about. So if your undergrad major was something like that, I'd say yes, pharmacy will probably be easier. If it was interpretive dance, that might be another story :)

Also if you're at a big school I think pharmacy (along with many more professional programs) might be easier to handle, even if the material is not necessairly easier, because the classes become smaller and more personalized than the 300-seat 1st and 2nd year courses where it's intimidating and sometimes impossible to even ask the prof a quesiton.

I guess if you go to MIT for undergrad, pharmacy school might be easier. It's all relative. ;)

I went to the same school for undergrad and as I do for pharmacy school, and I can assure you that for me it is MUCH harder. Perhaps not in difficulty of material if you were a science major, but in time demand, volume of material, number of tests, etc etc, Pharm school is more demanding. I didn't study very much at all in undergrad (day before the test, sometimes a few hours before a test) and graduated with a 3.67. My first quarter of pharm school, I got a 3.0. (And I busted butt for it!) I have revised my study habits a bit this quarter and hope to get between a 3.3 and 3.5 this quarter (assuming finals go well). There are people who came into the program thinking they could get 4.0's, and they got a wake up call during our first round of exams.

I think it has more to do with time management and how much you decide to tackle. In a lot of ways pharmacy school is what you put in, because there is a lot to be involved with that is not necessarily school related. Professional events, volunteering at health fairs, shadowing clinical pharmacists in various settings, student body leadership, etc.